• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission/Clutch Issues (won't get into gear)

nmxjhwy14

NAXJA Forum User
So the other night I was heading home on the interstate in my 93 XJ (5spd, 4.0 4x4) and downshifted from 5th to 4th to get more power to the wheels while heading up a steep grade. When finally ascending the grade I went to shift back into 5th and I was unable to do so with the usual ease, in fact it wouldn't go into gear at all. So I pulled off the interstate at the next exit and it would not go into 1st gear with the usual force exerted. With some maneuvering I was finally able to get into gear and limp home. The next morning I took it for a test drive and it seemed to have shifted fine until reaching standard operating temperature at which point same problem.

I came across a video with a guy describing a similar problem and he replaced the master cylinder which solved the issue. This would be my first step as it is the quickest, most inexpensive fix. I am hoping all the fluid didn't leak out from the transmission causing it to burn up! I will be checking the transmission fluid this morning but in the meantime any input/experience would be very useful and appreciated. I will post photos as this process unfolds.

I have not found any obvious leaks and the clutch fluid is full. I believe the 93 model year has the AX-15 transmission which from research seems to have an internal slave. Also, when I pump the clutch it seems to get into gear a little easier which leads me to believe fluid is not getting to the clutch. However this does not always work, especially when at operating temperature.

Check your master cylinder, especially on the pushrod going thru the firewall. It could be going and leaking. It will have fluid on it if it is. Happened on mine about 4 months ago, the cylinder looked full but wasn't working.

Back