• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case minus 1 bolt

95silverstallion

NAXJA Forum User
So I put a SYE in my transfer case. When reinstalling the TC the top drivers side nut wont go on. Feels like its gonna cross thread if I forced it on. Do you think im OK running minus that one nut?

I wouldn't. My favorite thread showing a failure from improper reassembly is actually here. Here's the deal - the studs are cheap compared to replacing a SYE or TC. Its not paranoia, its just right. Would you drive on a wheel with a broken lug nut stud? I did for a while, but then I proceeded to loose the other 4 on a long trip and found myself pressing new studs in on the side of the interstate in the snow. Your asking the same of your transfer case.

Ahh you're killing me. You're supposed to say I'm all good. Just kidding of course. Maybe its just me. You know how you struggle with something for an hour then quit for the night. Then the next morning the part just about assembles itself, then you start questioning your sanity.

If I can find the nut i'll see if it will go on in the AM. I did the SYE a few weeks ago.

Think I can change a stud with the case installed. I really don't wanna take it back out

yeaahhh... I know... Really though, that nut is a real PITA. I cut a gear wrench in half for it. The stud is tapered, so I don't know if you will be able to. Maybe a picture would help you figure out how your going to do it? Do you need a picture of one? I have a 242 on my garage floor.

awesome thanks. I make millions of trips to the Ace hdw around the corner from me buying a few nuts and bolts at a time. Guy in there makes fun of me..."you already lost the bolts you bought yesterday?"

bdd526daf38f168a4bdd2037ec9d3953.jpg

Note - this one is missing a stud. The a-hole I bought this from dropped it and bent it. I had to use the double nut method to pull it and haven't got around to replacing it. I'm telling you this so you don't drop yours and bend yours ;)

Nope. just as I suspected. Went out first thing this morning and the nut went right on. As im sure you all have experience...ive done so much to get this jeep road worthy. As soon as you think your done some other crap pops up. Things as simple as a nut going on a stud become mind bending.

I got my entire suspension done. I mean every part is new. Jumped in to take a test drive and a rusty ass brake line burst. So time to bend new brake lines. This was last week. Brake lines are done.

Back