• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire wear issues with all newer parts

Sorry, i missed the request for pictures earlier. I'll get some pics of the tires and the "C's" up after work today!

Here you go:

Passenger "C" (most suspect):
P1050109.jpg

Driver "C"
P1050107.jpg

Tires (have been rotated, but these were recently on the front):
P1050106.jpg

P1050104.jpg

P1050103.jpg

Thanks for the pics. How many miles are on the tires? How often do you rotate them? That wear doesn't look horrible from the pics, although you can see some irregularity.

That wear pattern and the fact you are getting a slight death wobble makes me think you stole my jeep :)
I eventually went through the entire front axle (new balljoints, new tierods, etc); nothing seemed to cure it. The last thing I tried was replacing the front tie-rod with the beefier one from a Grand. I also had my tires road-force balanced.
Wadda know.... Death wobble gone and my tire wear evened out.
So, track down the death wobble and I bet your tire wear will even out.

What does road-force balanced mean? i have the exact jeep as well and wonder about my Cs. Im staying tuned in. i also have replaced everything ans have a 55mph high speed flutter. been thinking its caster though.

Sucks to hear this is such a common problem! :)

I went to u-pull-it yesterday and scored a nice '96 abs d30hp with 140k miles for $70. I'm not certain that it will fix the problem but it's really the only thing i haven't replaced! I'm going to throw some new upper bushings in while i'm at it, and get a Rock Krawler track bar to replace the stock replacement i have in there now. It's a little bit of a shotgun approach, but i'm at the point where i don't care what the problem is...i just want it gone!!!

What does road-force balanced mean? i have the exact jeep as well and wonder about my Cs. Im staying tuned in. i also have replaced everything ans have a 55mph high speed flutter. been thinking its caster though.

Road force is a balancing machine that has a roller measure for an out of round condition essentially. You can apply weights to "balance out" an out of round tire combo, but still get vibrations. Usually they are a newer machine and do a better job with larger/wider tire combos.

Nice!
You can drop by my work if you ever get to the west side for a second pair of eyes.

Sucks to hear this is such a common problem! :)

I went to u-pull-it yesterday and scored a nice '96 abs d30hp with 140k miles for $70. I'm not certain that it will fix the problem but it's really the only thing i haven't replaced! I'm going to throw some new upper bushings in while i'm at it, and get a Rock Krawler track bar to replace the stock replacement i have in there now. It's a little bit of a shotgun approach, but i'm at the point where i don't care what the problem is...i just want it gone!!!

You can attribute the staggering of the lugs to the aggresive tread design. It can be accelerated by poor alignment/ worn steering components, but it mostly characteristic of the tire. You should see the same wear patternes on the rear tires, just not as pronounced. All you can do is rotate often and maintain correct air pressure.

The death wobble could be from worn steering/suspension components, so definitely give those a good once or twice over.

I had the same issue on my MT Baja Radials. The aggressive tread lugs caused every other lug to wear really bad once the tire go under 50% tread. The new All-Terrains I have do not have this issue so far. No components have been replaced.

Nice!
You can drop by my work if you ever get to the west side for a second pair of eyes.
Oh hey, an Albuquerque guy! :)
I live in Los Alamos but i do occasionally make the trip down to ABQ. Where do you work?

Back