• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Things to see on vacation

rightseatsis

NAXJA Member #953
I am planning a trip in the Motorhome back east and would appreciate any tips on things interesting to see or do.

My route is leaving San Francisco heading south to I40 then east to southern Missouri for Memorial day weekend. Then I am heading to Inks lake state park in Texas for a week, after this I want to head up the Natchez Trace to Nashville, then east to Knoxville, then up to Lexington, KY. at this point I will start heading back west. I have a month off to do this tour.

Thanks for your suggestions on tourist spots, campgrounds, whatever

Mary

How are you planning to get to I-40?
If you're heading south/southeast early, figure out a route down the east side of the state, get on 395, and follow it down. Turn east before you get into death valley area, unless you REALLY like desert( :D ) and get over into Vegas. Don't bother to stop in Vegas(personal opinion)
Follow I-15 north out of Vegas, into Utah.
Look for the roads, 9, 59, 89, alt 89, 389, in the south/south west region of Utah, and you'll find:
Zion National park
Cedar Break Nat. Monument
Bryce Canyon Nat. park
Capitol Reef Nat. park
Grand Staircase N.M.
Follow Alt. 89 down into Arizona, and you're sitting on the north rim of the Grand Canyon.
When you get tired of some of the grandest country on the planet, go down through Page AZ(stop and check out the dam!), and follow 89 down to Flagstaff and pick up I-40. As you leave Flagstaff, look for the signs to Meteor Crater. DO NOT drive by the crater if you're on -40(really) Take an hour and stop. As you leave the state(AZ) stop at the Petrified Forest Nat. Park.

If you don't feel like turning south through Page, keep heading east in Utah and stop in Moab, then spend a little time at Arches National park. If you go to Arches, it's probably too big a detour to to go back down to Page, and you'll have to pick your way south through Southern Colarado, which is another ball of fun.(Durango, Silverton, etc.)

Edit: Bishop is about as far south as you can go in Calie. before you have to go through/around Death Valley. You could also go east on -50 through Lake Tahoe, then follow 95 south to Vegas.

Last edited:
You could go see the 4 Corners, or try to. :D

Albuquerque is not a good place, but I ALWAYS stop for something to eat @ The Frontier Restaurant. Oopen 24/7. Cool joint but not fancy. Buy far my favorite carne adovada burritos! Best flour tortillas anywhere imnsho(I don't know much, but I know good Mexican food). IIRC, the tortilla maker (machine not person) never stops working except for Christmas day. Pretty damn good blueberry pancakes too.

The map on their web page assumes some knowledge of the city.
It's not far from I-40

So far on my list of stops is:

The Cumbres & Toltec RR in Colorado/New Mexico
The Naval museum in Frederickburg, Tx
The Texas RR museum.
Vicksburg battlefield
Cumberland Gap,
Great Smoky Mtn.
Kentucky Horse Park
County Music Hall of Fame, Nashville
Dollywood

Back