• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SS Flex Pipe Union-Need Some Input

weebur

NAXJA Forum User
Question: Will installing a braided SS flex pipe union in the exhaust pipe pull in enough oxygen to trigger a downstream O2 code?

Background: I recently noticed an exhaust leak at the exhaust manifold to downpipe (exhaust pipe) flange. The flange/pipe is cocked off to the side. I had the downpipe off a couple of years ago and it was straight and tight then (after the reinstallation). The downpipe was and still is rusted solid to the cat. To get the downpipe off I cut the downpipe in front of the cat and used a 2-1/2” ID pipe union with clamps, which is holding up OK with no leaks.

I’m debating whether or not to take the strain off the exhaust manifold by installing a flex pipe, and if I do I’ll probably just go ahead and replace the cat too. The cat is original and the heat shield all but rusted away.

My exhaust is louder than I like and believe that the leak may be contributing to the noise (I have a new muffler). I suppose I could just try straightening the exhaust pipe and tightening it back up (I used anti-seize on the studs with SS nuts), but I’m worried about cracking my exhaust manifold in the future. I did recently replace my motor and transmission mounts. I have/had no O2 related codes.

’97 XJ, 4.0, 133K

I found one on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAINLESS-S...Parts_Accessories&hash=item19d497b75d&vxp=mtr

I’ve seen on of these at O’Reillys, but it looked cheap and the weave was looser that the one I found on eBay.

Any thoughts or experience will be appreciated.

Back