• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedo cable, cruise vs non?

WrenchMonkey

NAXJA Member #771
NAXJA Member
89 Sport, 4.0, AW4, 231...

Yesterday I replaced the brakeline from the prop valve back. Today, my always-been-jumpy speedometer doesn't work at all. I'm sure that while routing the brake line, I pushed or pulled the speedo cable enough to finally break it.

The only part number I can find locally is CA3068. RockAuto also shows Y914, but they're both specifically non cruise control. My cruise hasn't worked since I bought it in 02, but it was originally equipped.

Do you think the non-CC cable will fit, and just lack whatever speed signal it used to feed?

Thanks.
Robert

Before you get to far along, check the outer cable and see if it is rotten or broken. Then disconnect the cable at the transfer and gently push the cable into the sheath while twisting, then align the key way on the transfer end of the cable with the speedo gear and reconnect.

If that doesn't work, you may want to pull the whole cable out of the cable sheath and grease it. It may be broken in the middle someplace, though not likely. I use graphite grease.

The only three ways I've seen the speedo cable screw up is physical damage to the outside sheath. The sheath rot from rust. Or the inside of the cable pop out of the end, so the key doesn't engage the drive, which is fairly common.

http://search-parts.jeep4x4center.c...ble jeep xj&rt=spelling&isort=score&view=grid

Been awhile but I seem to remember the speed sensor speedo cable connection on the instrument cluster end of the cable being a PITA. I finally gave up, disconnected the transfer end of the cable and pushed/pulled the whole instrument cluster with the speedo cable still attached. I just (oiled up and) shoved the speedo cable through the firewall grommet after disconnecting all the wiring to the cluster, until I had enough room to fiddle with the lock/retainer on the speed sensor cluster end of the cable.

A good time to think about a new headlight switch also, if you have been having any issues with yours. A whole lot easier to swap out with the cluster out.

Sorry for the slow reply. I wanted to have something substantive to offer back.

First, thanks for the tip. You're right, I should do a little troubleshooting before I just throw parts at it.

Second, unfortunately, reseating the inner cable didn't work for me. Mine was actually broken, sort of.

A quick geography lesson: My rig, originally with cruise, is actually a two-piece speedo cable. The longer, lower cable (~68") runs from the t-case up through the firewall. There, on the inside of the firewall, it attaches (via threaded collar) to a speed sensor for the cruise.

The second, shorter cable (~8") runs from the sensor (another collar) to the back of the gauge. Mine was just kinda press-fit on there. Popped right off, and back on again.

My break was where the lower cable attached to the sensor. The end of the inner cable had a little plastic tip that had snapped off.

In disclosure, I may have contributed. I oiled the upper cable years ago, it was ticking just loud enough to drive me nuts. Whatever oil I use wicked up into the back of the speedo and gummed up the works. I'll try to find something lighter this time, maybe just good ole dubya-dee.

Will update asap with pics...

Oh, and thanks for the link! Looking at it, I do think a one-piece non-cruise cable would have worked. But retaining the junction at the firewall means I can install and remove the lower cable without pulling the whole instrument panel again.

Back