• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sopa Internet strike

What's funny is that you chose to hit yan for this when he was responding to an attack from AIBandit. Who started the ridicule? Mr Bandit is apparently a radical following Saul Alinsky as well, but he happens to agree with you so it's all good. Back off on the Red Scare Sen McCarthy...

My points are specific to UY's statements. Bandit's comments are not supporting the promotions of a Progressive policy that undermines our personal freedoms, guaranteed under the US Constitution.

UY supports Progressive policy and agendas and to be perfectly clear, Progressivism is the fluffy name that Marxists gave to their movement when it became wildly unpopular with Americans back in the early 1900's.

Truth has no agenda.

You might be right...up until the Digital Millennium Copyright act of 2001.

That pretty much made any copy of any kind...including copies for yourself (ripping a DVD to have on your hard drive) illegal.

sad but true.

The problem is it's not people handing a copy to their friend anymore, it's 10,000 people a month downloading it off of a website, which i understand is a problem for media producers. SOPA wants to stop people from even being able to go to youtube and listen to songs they like unless the uploader has a permit to make that song available (similar to what a radio station has to do to play music).

And it doesn't stop there, not only can you not upload a song without a permit, but you and youtube both could be fined and even go to jail if you upload something you don't own the rights too. And if your video of your baby dancing to a song on the radio in the background goes viral and gets the attention of whomever owns the rights to the song playing, they can come sue the pants off you for copyright infringement (this actually has already happened under the DMCA).

You might be right...up until the Digital Millennium Copyright act of 2001.

That pretty much made any copy of any kind...including copies for yourself (ripping a DVD to have on your hard drive) illegal.
The way I understood it was that you could make a copy for yourself since DVDs/CDs tend to wear out/get scratched, but you weren't allowed to distribute said copies.
correct me if I am wrong but Ive always thought that If I go to a music store and buy a cd and start listening to it, then one of my friends hears it (who has never heard it) and i burn a copy and GIVE not sell it to him, I did not break any laws. Am i correct in my thinking??? But what if he in return is listening to it and another friend likes it and he does the same thing and GIVES not sells it to him. Did he break any laws?? Copyright laws were originally put into place to stop people from selling pirated music not sharing with your friends.

So What Laws were broken if any??
I believe that distribution is the issue. If you burn a copy for your friend, he now has the music and didn't pay for it. As far as I can tell, that's the issue at hand.
Catch the sarcasm? If ridiculing the opposition makes you party Saul Alinsky's Rules for Radicals, then most of us here are radicals. You started out mocking Yan's Canadianism, he called you a name, yet according to XJEEPER, Yan is the radical for using ridicule...;)

Catch the sarcasm? If ridiculing the opposition makes you party Saul Alinsky's Rules for Radicals, then most of us here are radicals. You started out mocking Yan's Canadianism, he called you a name, yet according to XJEEPER, Yan is the radical for using ridicule...;)

Ahh got ya, I didn't read all of that jazz and initially I wasn't mocking him for being Canadian. Just pointing out his voice is irrelevant to a US congressman. Though I'll admit later the "Cheques" thing was for my enjoyment.

The problem is it's not people handing a copy to their friend anymore, it's 10,000 people a month downloading it off of a website, which i understand is a problem for media producers. SOPA wants to stop people from even being able to go to youtube and listen to songs they like unless the uploader has a permit to make that song available (similar to what a radio station has to do to play music).

We used to share CDs between ourselves back in the day, but the sharing was always confined to a small group of people who knew each other, and all of those people supported music by actually purchasing something from time to time.

The internet opened new opportunities to promote music more effectively, but it also created a generation of youth who feel that it's their God-given right to free content. Illegal downloads wouldn't be so bad if those people actually went on itunes to buy a track or two from time to time.

Ahh got ya, I didn't read all of that jazz and initially I wasn't mocking him for being Canadian. Just pointing out his voice is irrelevant to a US congressman. Though I'll admit later the "Cheques" thing was for my enjoyment.
Yup, I spell checks as cheques, We also spell colour with a U, and pronounce Z as Zed. Hide your kids, hide your wife.

You can't Stop the Internet. "Nuff said.
Have you tried nuking it?

The internet opened new opportunities to promote music more effectively, but it also created a generation of youth who feel that it's their God-given right to free content. Illegal downloads wouldn't be so bad if those people actually went on itunes to buy a track or two from time to time.
I generally use filesharing as a "try before you buy" type thing. I've found 3 or 4 of my favorite bands via it and have bought a handful of CDs from each. In fact I probably have some CDs from Pain (the finnish metal band, not the emo crap) on my doorstep at home right now. They didn't pay any RIAA fees AFAIK since they are based in Finland.

a generation of youth who feel that it's their God-given right to free content.

It's not just content people think they have the right to everyone else's work. Occupy wallsteet? the demand for "redistribution of wealth".

Just look at that twitter page Grimm posted, half of them think Wikipedia infringed on their rights by blacking out.

Blame their parents not the interwebs.

Have you tried nuking it?
Sopa/Pipa are nukes

And really Zed? never knew that.

Last edited:
I worked with a bunch of Canadians and a Brit during my brief stint in telecommunications, and they all said zed. They also said our bread was crap, and I said their bacon was a lie, and it got ugly after that...

Back