• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SocalXJ 7th Jambo!

I plan on attending but have never been to JV. I have a bunch of questions I hope someone can answer:

1. Does anyone have a lat-long for the base camp?

2. The map link on the SOCAL XJ site shows a red balloon along Boone Road. Assuming this is the base camp does anyone have a distance to it along Road from either Barnes Rd or the Y just north of Armelino Rd?

3. Is tent camping allowed?
4. Will there be any facilities (porta potties)?
5. How far from resteraunts? Should I plan on bringing all food and water?
6. Anyone pick a CB channel to link up on Friday?

John

nosigma said:
I plan on attending but have never been to JV. I have a bunch of questions I hope someone can answer:

1. Does anyone have a lat-long for the base camp?

2. The map link on the SOCAL XJ site shows a red balloon along Boone Road. Assuming this is the base camp does anyone have a distance to it along Road from either Barnes Rd or the Y just north of Armelino Rd?

3. Is tent camping allowed?
4. Will there be any facilities (porta potties)?
5. How far from resteraunts? Should I plan on bringing all food and water?
6. Anyone pick a CB channel to link up on Friday?

John

If you're good to go on finding Boone Rd, you'll have no problem finding camp.
I've never clocked it, but it's probably about 3 mile on Boone to Barnes.
It's just a sweeping left on Boone to Barnes, doesn't really feel like you change Rd's. Once on Barnes it another mile or 2 to the lakebed. Don't worry, you can't/won't miss it.
Tent camping is allowed.
Pretty much anything is allowed, except pallets/nails.
No facilities.
About 22 miles to the closest restaurants/gas. Bring everything you need.
CB Ch4, I assume.

Paul

What day are people heading to JV?

I was planning on heading up early on Sat. morning from the San Deigo area.

The last JV run was pretty fun. It just sucks heading up there if you've never been and don't quite know how to get there.

I am offering to lead a trip up on Sat. from San Diego- any takers?:sunshine:

Cell 360-632-1787 for info/coordination efforts....

A lot of these questions have allready been covered on the SocalXJ forum.
Paul got most of it.
There is usually a caravan that heads up sat AM. the meeting spot is AMPM at deersprings road off the 15. youll need about 2.5 hours drive time and you want to be there by 8am.
last time I did the early sat drive up. I think we left about 4am and stopped at Denny's in Yucca Valley for a good breakfast. then its just another 1/2 hour to the camp.

I will be going up on friday with an RV group. we'll be doing a max of 65 so its gonna take us a little longer to get there.

Rawbrown said:
There is usually a caravan that heads up sat AM. the meeting spot is AMPM at deersprings road off the 15. QUOTE]

Who all is meeting at deersprings rd so far? What time?

All flexable..

Friday
Morning
Nothing Scheduled

Afternoon
Clawhammer - Ray Pilli

Night
Clawhammer - Ron/Ryan

Saturday

Morning
Tackhammer - Mike-G/Captain Ron -Tackhammer is unpassable, they will substitute.

Sledgehammer - Paul Sinclair

Hells Gate - critter

Sunday

No Runs planned, but to be sure they will happen.

There is talk of one, but at this point no one who is clearly qualified to lead one has volunteered - but I'm pretty sure I'll have it arranged by the time I get up there tomorrow evening. Alot of the guys I would ordinarily ask to lead that run aren't able to come out, or are afraid to volunteer to lead a dozen 'newbies' down anything with 'hammer' in the name - for fear of being there for two days. :)

cal said:
Afraid to volunteer to lead a dozen 'newbies' down anything with 'hammer' in the name - for fear of being there for two days. :)

That AND my junk isn't 100%.

Assuming the weather pattern is within reason, I plan on coming out and being of assitance to noobies on the 'noobie' run. I would like to use this run as a 'test' run for all the new crap I have on my rig that hasn't been 'field' tested.

:wave:

cracker said:
That AND my junk isn't 100%.

Assuming the weather pattern is within reason, I plan on coming out and being of assitance to noobies on the 'noobie' run. I would like to use this run as a 'test' run for all the new crap I have on my rig that hasn't been 'field' tested.

good idea, but dont break it untill the next weekend with us down south:laugh3:

So here’s the skinny for the radio geeks. Like I’ve always found, JV is in the 2M black hole.

The only repeater that seems to have reasonable coverage (and I tried more this last weekend than ever…) is the Yucca Valley repeater.

So…

Primary, Yucca Valley 146.790, neg, 136.5
Secondary 29 Palms, 147.060, pos, 136.5
Local comms, 146.500 simplex

Now a word. The Yucca repeater is an active one; so, make sure you use proper protocol, call signs mandatory. I’ll try to get a heads up from the operator early Friday, just as a courtesy. Be polite, don’t step, and don’t react to any heavy vibes from the local users.

I’ll monitor the Yucca valley repeater in camp, but keep in mind the coverage is spotty on the lake bed.

CB, lets use channel 4 for those coming in, I’ll monitor that also.

73 de –ron K0IOA/6 /M /MM

PS: I have my antenna analyzer with me…

Weather for Victorville:

Tomorrow: Partly cloudy skies during the morning hours will give way to occasional showers in the afternoon. High near 55F. Winds SW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
Tomorrow night: Rain showers early mixing with snow showers late. Low 33F. Winds WSW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precip 50%.
Saturday: Cloudy with a few showers. High 52F. Winds WSW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

:D

cracker said:
Weather for Victorville:
Cool... but we'll be closer to Landers.

Friday: Partly to mostly cloudy. High 58F. Winds W at 10 to 20 mph. 20% chance of rain.
Saturday: Partly to mostly cloudy. High 58F. Winds W at 10 to 20 mph. 30% chance of rain.
Sunday: Mostly sunny. Highs in the mid 50s and lows in the upper 30s. 20% chance of rain.

Andy Steiner said:
Cool... but we'll be closer to Landers.

Friday: Partly to mostly cloudy. High 58F. Winds W at 10 to 20 mph. 20% chance of rain.
Saturday: Partly to mostly cloudy. High 58F. Winds W at 10 to 20 mph. 30% chance of rain.
Sunday: Mostly sunny. Highs in the mid 50s and lows in the upper 30s. 20% chance of rain.

If that is true, you should see me there ;)

Just a heads up for the San Diego crew. I-15 is scheduled to be closed in both directions @ Lake Hodges (Blowing up the old bridge?) Report says they will start Sat. evening so look for detours on your way home.
Ken

itsHud said:
Just a heads up for the San Diego crew. I-15 is scheduled to be closed in both directions @ Lake Hodges (Blowing up the old bridge?) Report says they will start Sat. evening so look for detours on your way home.
Ken

Thanks for the heads up. Me and a buddy live off the I-15 in S.D. near Friars Rd. What Alternate route would you suggest?

Back