• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shifting/Possible Shifter Issue?

hoodride

NAXJA Forum User
Recently picked up a '97 4.0/AW4/2WD with some possible transmission issues...symptoms are it never starts out in 1st and won't shift into OD, pretty much the only definite gears that seem to engage are 2nd and 3rd. Of course CEL is on because of this, scanned it and it showed #1 solenoid issue. Someone has obviously had the trans out very recently before I got the Jeep, its very clean, pan has been off (new gasket) clean fluid, and they put the crossmember in backwards because its shoving the D/S motor mount forward and causing it to rub engine mount with body side mount metal on metal. The shifter doesn't feel right, I've had quite a few XJ's and this one feels weird, you can move it about 1/4" when its "engaged" in any selection and when in park with the Jeep off I can get under and move the actual shift lever on the trans about 1/4" and it will actually come out of park then click back in once you roll it some like theres an adjustment off somewhere. Also need to ad I have unplugged the TCM and drove it shifting manually but still had the same symptoms. So the question is does it sound like a shifter/adjustment issue or something inside the trans? Just want to ask before I drop the pan and start testing solenoids. Thanks.

.......CEL is on because of this, scanned it and it showed #1 solenoid issue. Someone has obviously had the trans out very recently before I got the Jeep, its very clean, pan has been off (new gasket) clean fluid, and they put the crossmember in backwards .......
There's a good chance the solenoid is bad, since the code
points to that. You're going to need to turn the crossmember around anyway, so I'd pull the pan and look
at the solenoid. If it's not new, that's most likely the problem with the shifting.

Changing the crossmember might affect the shifter adjustment too. A wrench is a dangerous tool in the
wrong hands...

A wrench is a dangerous tool in the
wrong hands...

seconded.

you could try checking the resistances of the solenoids through the TCM harness, but with all the other this's and that's you mentioned, you may want to drop the pan for peice of mind.

Thanks for the input guys, tested the solenoids and sure enough one was bad, so I'll replace them and keep my fingers crossed, everything else looked good inside. I'll have it back on the road today and see what happens. Indeed a wrench in the wrong hands is a bad thing, I've seen some real hacked up Jeeps after owning about 25.

Back