• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

School me on 88 Grand Waggys

xjwisconsin

NAXJA Forum User
I have been looking around lately at some older Cherokees, anyhow, anybody own one, DD one, any real life info. When I was 17 I "passed up" an early 80's and still kick myself about it. I have three kids (20month, 6 and 8) and the wife wants a dog soon. No way in hell are we all going to fit in the xj. This vehicle would be primarily for weekend camping and to haul bikes and such.
I know the fuel eco will be junk, but sometimes I miss the "simplicity" of my renix, or even my 79 duster...:anon:

Your title says Grand Waggy, but your post says Cherokee. I would say go for the Waggy as it is 4 door, and will have more room in the back. With the waggy, you may also be able to make some kind of third row seat for it if you had other options for luggage and gear. I had a Grand Waggy at one point, all stock. It was the most comfortable vehicle Ive ever owned. Mine was only a 4.2 6 cyl, but still had enough torque to spin all 4 wheels in 4 low. For your purposes though I would stick with a V8. If you have the cash, there are one or two places that sell nothing but restored full size waggys. I think one is called www.wagonmaster.com

I'm a big FSJ fan, owned an 83 Cherokee once for a short period of time. If you want a good one, be prepared to spend a bit more than you would on an XJ in comparable shape. You can get them dirt cheap, but you're gonna have some problems with them. The 360 is a great motor, and for the most part it had good tranny and axle options. If you like the woodgrain, get one with nice woodgrain... restoring it is expensive.

check out IFSJA.org for more info on them, good resource.

Thanks so far... Yes it is a grand Waggoneer, looks to be a V8, still waiting on info from the owner... interior looks fairly clean, sheet metal not bad at all for a Wisconsin vehicle.

I had an 85 and loved it. I can't say I've enjoyed driving anything more, but I hated the seats didn't recline. I had a 200 mile range before fillup. If you don't mind putting fuel in it, you're golden. Reminded me of driving my Peterbilt, but more comfy. Backseat isn't too comfy either. Be sure to sit there before you buy.

I love the way the backseat came out of those, almost like a portable camp couch

I just remembered, the one I had when I was in Michigan, the body looked fine from the outside, but the frame was about rotted in two about midway down. Be sure to check that out. I also broke a front spring and went though a couple of rusty brake lines, and the NP228 Selec-trac transfer case blew up on me just driving down the road at 30 MPH. Still loved it though!

Thanks for the advice everyone. I finally got more pictures of the Waggy I was interested in and even though the price is dirt cheap, it just needs way more work than I am interested in putting into it. Oh well, the search will continue.

Back