• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Run to hollister on sunday 3/26

Nates2000XJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Hey all,

I apologize for the late notice, but myself (33s locked front and rear), a 90s land Rover disco 1, and possibly two 2nd generation 4runners are headed to hollister hills tomorrow, Sunday the 26th. The more XJs the better, hopefully you don't mind some mud. Hoping to arrive at the park at 10am. Looking to spend 4 to 5 hours out there.

We don't run super retarded stuff, just tooling around and having a good time, I'm actually gonna get my gf behind the wheel. If you're trying to meet up respond or just meet us at the school gate.
408 833 8797

Hey all,

I apologize for the late notice, but myself (33s locked front and rear), a 90s land Rover disco 1, and possibly two 2nd generation 4runners are headed to hollister hills tomorrow, Sunday the 26th. The more XJs the better, hopefully you don't mind some mud. Hoping to arrive at the park at 10am. Looking to spend 4 to 5 hours out there.

We don't run super retarded stuff, just tooling around and having a good time, I'm actually gonna get my gf behind the wheel. If you're trying to meet up respond or just meet us at the school gate.
408 833 8797

You'll probably see a badass teal xj on 42s and coilovers.
I was gonna go meet up with him but have too much to do

I was just out there last Thursday. I normally work weekends otherwise I'd always be down for a weekend trip.

Darn. I did see that teal xj on 42's, gawd damn it was cool. It was muddy but not too bad. The day was cut short after a friend's rover broke a control arm on the McCrazy trail (switchback trail across those concrete obstacles). Will show pics of the carnage as soon as I get some good ones from him.

Well speaking of carnage... this weekend my girlfriend and I went to Mercy Hot Springs (just south of Los Banos) for a relaxing getaway. We packed up the jeep on Thursday morning and headed out. The hot spring isn't too far from a superfund mercury mine as well as Clear Creek.

I just couldn't help myself from getting a little wheeling action out of the trip (my girlfriend loves to get behind the wheel as well). Attempted a very rutted hillclimb and ended up popping a u joint on the driver side axle. Like an airhead, I left my spare shafts at home.
a>

So I removed the shaft from the housing and unit bearing and decided to roll out with 2wd. Can you guess what happened next??

Yeah, the unit bearing split in half as a result of not having any preload on the unit bearing. Wheel+rotor+caliper made a run for it while driving.
Any relaxing we did prior to this little adventure went out the window.:rattle:I thanked my lucky stars this didn't happen in the middle of a turn or on a cliff, so without any cell reception we set out on foot back to the hot spring to call AAA. Got to the springs at 2:30, didn't get home to San Jose until ten till midnight. :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

Needless to say, I promised my lady (who was a total champ throughout all of this) that'd we'd return to the hot spring... just not in the jeep for fear that I'd be tempted to go wheeling again.
Got a new timken unit bearing, rotors, caliper, pads, chromo ball joints, brake line, and a pick and pull knuckle, so when all the parts arrive I'll get the jeep back up and running.

Anyone wanna make me a sweet deal on a driver side 5-760x size dana 30 shaft?
Another question, the donor XJ at the yard whose knuckle I snagged had 760 size joints but also an ABS ring. I don't have ABS, can I use the shaft if I take that ring off? Is it not worth the time to mess with the ABS shafts and just find a non ABS shaft?

Wow! Glad y'all made it back alright for the most part lol. Great memories for you both.

I need to check those hot springs out, just a week ago saw the sign on hey 5. Glad you guys didn't make it to the highway before that hub came apart. Yes everyone needs to know you have to have a stub shafts in front Unit Bearing to keep it together! Hope you guys make it back there soon!

Yeah I thought it was common knowledge to put the stub shaft back in the unit bearing !!!

Maybe we can do some PSA work for broken shafts ?

Its a 150 acre property that used to be a stagecoach stop in the 1800s. Most 150 acres are for hiking and stuff, the facilities are rather modest. The whole place is off the grid minus a landline phone and a wifi modem. Their water is a little sulfur-ey (smells like eggs) but that's to be expected from natural hot spring water. They have a chlorinated pool that's heated from the hot spring source, personal bath tubs to soak in (clothing required and some clothing optional), sauna, showers, massage tables. Tent camping, air-streams, camper trailer spots, RV camping, or cabins are available. Very rustic, you pack your own food and water in. No fireworks, guns, dope, liquor, children, etc... its a relaxing place. Mention the guy with the broken jeep and you guys will get along fine with the staff aha. Check out their website, they're getting more and more publicity these days.

PSA? public safety assessment? Pole stripping assignment? school me please! Text me back pat!

Back