• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rod End Question

branz1029

NAXJA Forum User
Have a 1-Ton Steering Setup from Rugged Ridge for my XJ and was thinking of upgrading my rod ends to the HEIM Spherical Rod Ends. Anyone have input on what I should do?

2nd fk
As much as I hate to say it most of the others suck! They just don't last, I won't mention any names

IIRC, the RR steering has one of those oddball TRE's on the passenger side. So no, swapping heims will not work with that setup. The links are too short.
Buy ruffstuff or other steering kit, if you want to run heims. Or, buy the joints and some tube and have someone local build it for you if you cannot do it yourself.

I don't think heims are an upgrade over 1 ton tie rod ends. I run heims on the xj as I don't have a reamer so it was cheaper/ easier than going to 1 ton tre's. Building the steering on the wj after the Dana 60 swap, I'm sticking with 1 ton tre's.

My draglink has a heim on one end and a 1 ton tre on the other.

I have replaced the TRE 3 times and ordered the 4th today.

The heim is original.. so I'd say they are a solid upgrade over TRE's.

And yes FK is the way to go. Ashman is right about thread pitch though.`

Back