• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing condenser for timing cover? So close!

shmicah

NAXJA Forum User
99 XJ 4.0L Automatic

I have my timing cover off except for one bolt that is behind the mechanical fan pulley. The screw is just BARELY hitting the hub that the mechanical fan clutch and blades screws into.

Do I have to remove the entire AC condenser and bracket like the FSM says, or can I pull that pulley/hub(?) off the shaft where the mechanical fan was?

I tried just leaving both on there, and hoping I could slide the timing cover out with the bolt still attached, but its too long and hits the pulley/hub.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzq_IiHBngMYLTJwMmp2T3lNQWM/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzq_IiHBngMYbEFCSkRLNzBwUkU/view?usp=sharing

Red arrows are the pulley/hub I am talking about. It just barely clips the screw, so taking out the entire compressor seems like overkill and I'm hoping I don't need to.

Last edited:
Unbolt the compressor from the mount, and put the mount off to the side.

The compressor mount is aluminum and the bolts that hold the compressor in place are steel. They are likely seized. Maybe try an impact but don't be surprised if you end up replacing a bolt or two, and running a tap through the mount threads.

The condenser does not need to be touched.

Sorry its late and im tired, i meant compressor, no condenser.

I don't have an impact, but I do have pb blaster and a breaker bar... So I unbolt the 4 long screws running down through the compressor into the bracket below, ghen unscrew the bracket which is attached to that hub/pulley?

The tubes attached to the compressor on top are very stiff. How do I remove/hold the compressor without damaging those fittings? I dont have to depressurize the system or anything, do I?

Also, I got a little impatient and pulled very hard on that hub thinking it would come off. It felt like it maybe gave a millimeter then i stopped and realized it was probably a bad idea. Do those things damage easily since its the viscous coupling for the mechanical fan?

Thanks for your help!

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
PB Blaster and a breaker bar will not save the bolts or threads in the mount. Slowly going back and forth may minimize the damage. It's not a rust issue. Is that the aluminum has galled.

The A/C hoses may seem stiff but they will move out of the way just fine. Rest the compressor towards the battery.

If you pulled on the hub against the mount (instead of the shaft) you put force on the bearing. Hard to say but those bearings can last the life of the vehicle or become noisy and wobbly. Just depends. If you have doubts you can go to the junkyard looking for another or wait to see how it ends up.

The other thing you can try is just loosing up all the A/C mount mounts enough for it to wiggle and get the bolt out that way. If that works you will have the minimal repair work to the bolts & threads.

Ok, I gotcha. Thanks for your help. I'm gonna try loosening the mounts to the block and see if I can wiggle it out.

I ground the head of the bolt when I did mine... Or technically, the flange behind the head of the bolt. If you grind the flange flush with just one facet of the hex head, there will be just enough room to wiggle it out.

Ah thats a great idea! I know it must've been hard fitting all of that stuff under the hood but damn, that bolt only needed a mm of clearance lol. Fail

Back