• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removable door re-alignment

I<3Mud

NAXJA Forum User
So both the doors on my XJ and ZJ are removable but the sagging is starting to drive me nuts... it takes two hands to close or open the doors, more so on my ZJ... so i got to thinking... what if i shimmed the hinges at an angle, like put washers on just the bottom bolts to angle the hinge upwards and theoretically compensate for the sag? would this work? has anyone tried this? The zj only has 2 bolts on each hinge, one upper and one lower, the XJ will probably require some shims in between the bracket and mount not through the bolt...:smoker:

I just played around with the existing shims, taking some off the top and putting them on the bottom, just playing around with it. It's worked well. In fact at first try I had a few shimmed too high so I had to push down on the handle to close them.

What year is your XJ? Makes a big difference.

My doors sagged bad when I originally took them off because I was using a 5/16" bolt for the hinge and it was a bit too small. I eventually re-did the whole setup with a 3/8" bolt as the hinge pin and welded it in, completely got rid of the sagging and the doors closed like stock. Except for the passenger door that took a big hit right at the a-pillar and I think tweaked the unibody.

Back