• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Recovery help needed

Andy Steiner

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
A long time dear friend of mine who continues wheeling and hiking all by himself has finally managed to get his Suburban stuck and can't get free. The local tow companies won't help because the area he's stuck at is soft sand and very steep.

He wrote me urgently pleading for help: "For the past two weeks it's been hung up on a soft dirt shelf-road near the old Grandview Gold Mine on the flank of East Ord Mountain, a couple of miles off Camp Rock Road, north of Lucerne Valley, east of Victorville, off state highway 18. In three days of trying by hand, I've not been able to extract it and I'm running out of ideas.
The local tow companies are giving me a hard time because the dirt is so soft and the surrounding hills so steep, they're afraid of getting their own tow trucks stuck."

Without a winch it's beyond my capabilities. Any chance a couple of you might be willing to help him out and attempt a recovery?

Chuck states that he is most willing to compensate anybody for their time and expenses.

Please contact me at [email protected] or call me at seven oh two - three seven three-seven four five three and I'll put you in touch with him.

Anybody willing to step up and help a friend of a friend?

I might be able to...that's about an hour and a half from me, but probably closer t me than most. :) I have a winch and might be able to bring along another person/vehicle or two.
Any better location details? I'm in 29 Palms, 92277

you'd better call him if you're interested in helping, Darky. I'm willing to bet this is being posted multiple places.

I might be able to...that's about an hour and a half from me, but probably closer t me than most. :) I have a winch and might be able to bring along another person/vehicle or two.
Any better location details? I'm in 29 Palms, 92277

Chuck is in his office but has the GPS info at home.

I sent a email asking for more exact location info if I head up it will have to be either after work or on the weekend
I'm looking at the same. I could possibly get out there after work for an hour or two, otherwise it'd have to be the weekend.

I'd offer up my help but I don't think it would be worth the drive without a winch....sounds like he's plenty stuck. Captain XJ could save him!!!

Also, whats the deal? Is he leaving the truck alone and going back out or is he stuck with it?

Cal and a crew of rigs are heading out with Chuck as we speak.

Chuck's rig unstuck. Everybody on way home. Turns out that the 4WD in the Suburban wasn't functioning. Quick winch pull and everything good.

Thank you all.

someone send jeeperjohn a cookie for cutting out of work to head out with me. for some reason i didn't like the idea of driving into lucerne valley, in august, alone, on a monday night. ;)

met sequioa's dad out there as well.

surburban was off the side of a hill in some really loose crap. it wasn't that bad getting him out, but even locked front and rear john and i were slipping a little on the hills. fun stuff.

Back