• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Recommendation Wanted: Exhaust shop for Downpipe

I forgot about this thread, so I figured I would update it.

I ended up doing my own mandrel bent exhaust and I am really glad I did. I ordered up 2 90s and 2 45/180 bends and had 1 of the 45/180 left over. I am very happy with how it came out and it wasn't necessarily hard, just time consuming and somewhat of a pain in the ass. I would say that a pneumatic pipe expander would make this job wayyyy easier. I used the autozone/oreilly's special mechanical expander to create the slip-over and it sucked. Ended up going through 4 expanders total to create the slip fit on 16ga 304 stainless tube.

13532963_10100166263903405_1279938099129415831_n.jpg

To anyone thinking about doing it and you have the fab tools, then just do it!!! The most expensive item is the gas, since a new bottle is required. If you go to Gardena Welding Supply, they will let you borrow a bottle with a deposit that they will return to you when you bring it back and the only expense is the actual gas fill. I went with 98% Ar/2% Co2 for $36 on a 55 bottle. You can go with a tri-mix which is helium based but that is exponentially more expensive.

;)

Or mandrel bent.....

To both of these comments, you are correct, but we are comparing apples to oranges here. You guys are implying that creating a more turbulent environment for the expelled gasses won't make a difference at the primary, which is correct. The way this is different is that all of those changes occurred pre-collector. All of my changes would be post collector. I wanted the least amount of turbulence introduced into the exhaust post collector to have the highest possible laminar flow.

I agree that adding a more turbulent environment to already turbulent expelled gas is not ideal, but no huge difference is made unless the primary overall area is significantly reduced. I wanted to take advantage of the negative pressure created post collector after a cylinder expels on the exhaust stroke in which a scanvenging effect is created and hopefully maintain that speed up through the 2-1 merge collector further down the run of tubes. The way I am looking at it is that I spent all the money to cam an engine and purchased good flowing headers, I might as well do anything I can to make sure the engine breathes the best it possibly can.

Looks great! I really need mine done on the MJ. Want to lend me hand?

I would not expect you to come up here. I'd come to you. I have some time to get this one done. I would buy all the materials and pay you for your time.

that looks awesome ! great job!

Back