• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Fender Trim, NON cut and fold method

yeah, the inner is the hardest part... If you use anything thicker than 18ga, its REALLY tough. The thinner stuff is easier to stretch.

Post up some pics!

~ James

I will get some pix Sunday. I work a 24 hour shift tomorrow. I picked up a tub of Bondo today to "dress" it up

Custom paint? Its a bunch of cans of rubberized undercoating...

The diff cover was painted red by the previous owner, I tried my best to get it off before putting the cover on, but its on there pretty good.

The teal is the original color, hence me trying to cover as much of it up as possible with rubberized undercoating.

Why dont I paint all the other crap under there? It is painted black, its just dirty/muddy in those pictures. I think painting the under carriage parts anything other than black screams mall crawler.... Looks fine till you get it dirty one time, then it looks like crap.

~ James

I've never seen that exact color of teal on a stock xj so I thought you or someone else had painted it. I dont see what you think it "screams mall crawler"... had all the running gear apart so figured I'd paint it. The accent color on the jeep is orange and if it was orange with black it would look like halloween. It just looks alot cleaner with the hammered silver. Couldnt tell it was black though, the outside was very clean so i figured the undercariage would have been sprayed off too to help prevent excess wear to bushing, bearings, and u joints.

I've never seen that exact color of teal on a stock xj so I thought you or someone else had painted it. I dont see what you think it "screams mall crawler"... had all the running gear apart so figured I'd paint it. The accent color on the jeep is orange and if it was orange with black it would look like halloween. It just looks alot cleaner with the hammered silver. Couldnt tell it was black though, the outside was very clean so i figured the undercariage would have been sprayed off too to help prevent excess wear to bushing, bearings, and u joints.

Just my opinion, not saying that it makes it a mall crawler, but it reminds of the little ricer guys with honda civics (etc) who paint their a/c vents and random bezels to match whatever... in hopes to make it 'look' like a race car.

Obviously, there are cars who have all that, and can back it up too. Same with Jeeps, just that the posers often vastly outnumber the folks who actually use it offroad.

Thats what I was trying to say. :D :peace:

~ James

I CONCUR! :cheers: And my aussie sticker on the fender of my jeep gives me 4 times as much traction! lol

I know these are not great pictures but here is mine (note this is not 100% complete but close)
Picture001.jpg

Picture003_782084.jpg

Picture004_679276.jpg

Picture002_257092.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Same with Jeeps, just that the posers often vastly outnumber the folks who actually use it offroad.

~ James

Yes they do. I guess they may haul their tents on a dirt lane. Is that posing?:D I may not wheel more than about 6 times a year but at least do it! I also use mine to haul trailers, get me to fishing spots, and there is room to haul stuff inside too!

I've seen StumpXJ's work. the pics realy dont do it justice....it's REAL nice

Looks great just one thing that I would add. I was BSing with my mechanic and he gave me a sweet little tip. To help maintain a little lip he would use brakeline to have a little flare on the lip of the fender it helped cover some stuff and gave it a clean look. If you aren't getting what i'm talking about I'll try to get a pic or 2 when I go to sell him some parts. All in all 10 outta 10

old thread i know. i want to know more about this brake line trick! ive searched like crazy but havent been able to find a single pic or writeup on it

you put the brake line on the out side edge of the fender and weld the inner piece and the fender to it. it gives a small finished lip look. but you have to weld nice or it will look like dogshit and you will have to bondo it anyway. i think there was a build that tnt did called low cog build. they used a bigger solid rod but its the same concept.

Back