• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear drive shaft.

bails85

NAXJA Forum User
i just put an 8.8 in my xj. i was planning on running an xj front shaft because i heard that alot of guys do that and i have 2 so why not. well i got under the jeep to bolt it on and the drieshaft isnt long enough? its about half an inch short at ride height. more at full droop. i have an 89 xj with aw4 and 231 with a.a. sye. the axle is an explorer 8.8. i have a 4.5 rc lift. now that the 8.8 is in there it raised the rear about 1 inch so im probably at 5.5 inches at the rear. i already bought the driveshaft adapter from m.o.r.e. and put a new u joint in the shaft. am i missing something here? most of the guys say they have to have the sahft cut down... mine is short. what should i do? i dont have the money to buy a custom shaft thats why i was going to run my extra stock front shaft.

I'm using a stock front DS in the rear of mine with a flange style SYE, at 6+ inches of lift. Is it a super short SYE kit or a standard one? Are you sure your shaft is free to extend all the way? sometimes they get gummed up with old dried grease inside and won't fully extend, especially if they came off of a jeep that spent all it's life at stock height and never had a chance to go through the full range of motion.

i pulled on it pretty good? how far are they supposed to extend? when i fully close the shaft and pull it i get about 3 inches. i didnt do anything special to my jeep. its just an aal in the pack. i bought the 8.8 kit from ruffstuff and just used the center hole in the perches like the stock ones were. my sye is just the standard one from a.a. if it is all gummed up how do i free it up?

you said you have two right? do they both only extend 3" it should come out more than that. how far out is your front shaft? pump some new clean grease in there and give it a workout like it's prom night if you catch my drift.

i got it move about another inch. i adjusted the pinon angle to the correct spot. i now have 1 inch of play left at ride height. will that be enough to compensate at full droop or when flexing.

as long as it never completely compresses or gets yanked on at full extension you should be ok. with jackstands under the frame rails take the tires off and let the rear end drop so its hanging off the leafs. if you can't hook your driveshaft up at that point then it is too short.

ok that what i was thinking. wouldnt i want the tires on for the extra weight to sag the leafs more? any idea why my setup is different than most others who run the stock front shaft? i know that is kinda a hard question to answer being every jeep is different. but mine doesnt have any thing fancy or modded. no stretch or nothing like that. just a cheap rc lift.

its not going to drop much farther with the tires on. can't give you more info without being there :dunno:

Back