• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RANT - Transfer Case saga

Boatwrench

NAXJA Forum User
Well this is a RANT:rattle:

This transfer case is getting the better of me.

Mary's 2001XJ has a grinding noise from the transfer case that started when we were in WY for IC's Geostash Event. I picked up a "rebuilt" transfer case off this board from a guy who purchased it from a "reliable" jeep builder for $200. The t/c had the correct number of splines and had an Advanced Adapters SYE installed.

Mary's XJ will remain stock height as it is slowly becoming our parents (81 & 79) daily driver. She doesn't need an SYE, but my 2000 finally has an OME medium lift, and although the vibes were minimal, I decided to put the 'rebuilt' t/c in my XJ.

Well the 231 is getting the better of me...

1st saturday started to pull the t/c. There was one nut, one very difficult nut to remove plus I needed to get to San Jose and do a parts trade with 5-90.

1st Sunday bought a half moon shaped wrench to get the lower passenger side nut. Finally the t/c is on the floor of the shop

Friday drilled out the broken stud from the 'reliably' "rebuilt" transfer case. Installed new studs, broken one and one random missing one.

Saturday after getting it lined up and in, cross threaded the new stud (the lower passsnger side difficult one) and had to remove the t/c again, fix the threads on the stud and nut and shove back in. Attempted to put front driveshaft on and ithe t/c had a different style yoke. The original vehicle this t/c was in was allegedly a 94 wrangler. Couldn't find my big pipe wrench to hold the yoke, and couldn't remember lending it out, probably one of my brother-in-laws.

Sunday, bought a new pipe wrench (sometimes its just easier) installed new trans mount onto trans, changed bushings and installed shift linkage then called it quits to go to my daughters for dinner and her tow/impound yard to look at the J-10 that comes up for auction in two weeks. (That's another story).

Today, pulled front yoke from the 2000XJ and installed. Got cross member/skid plate with new trans mount installed. Put front driveshaft on, took measurements for a Tom Woods driveshaft, (good discount, he's a sponsor and sent us members gift certificates last summer) checked shifting....hmmmm....neutral feels funny....hmmm.....sloppy, won't stay in neutral....pull detent spring/pin access plug.

Hey! It's not there! I thought this was a reliable rebuild?

The original 2000XJ TC detent spring and pin won't fit as its diameter is to large. So projects for tomorrow...order Tom Wood's Drive shaft, order from Jeep detent pin & spring for a 94 Wrangler and order one green transfer case shift linkage bushing.

Lesson...inspect the stuff better before buying! I sure hope the fluid pump pick up tube was connected...or if there is even a good chain in there.

Back