• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Raffle

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
I will help stock the raffle from the sponsorship program but we should not rely on that in entirety.

EVENT TEAM START ACTING NOW

Call vendors that are not in the National program (http://sponsorship.naxja.org/ for guidance). Locals visit vendors in the area and talk it up. Let's drum up some support!

As part of the national sponsorship program I will not contact out of program vendors for the raffle, this is to prevent confusion about what they are getting.

Let's get a good raffle.

I think we

should look for an event sponsor. We started this last year with Winterfest, where we had a company donate $1000 worth of product for the raffle in return for their name to be on our shirts and their banner to be hung at registration and at the banquet.

We will be doing this again for wf 14.

Maybe check with Rusty's to see if they want to attend and bring extra swag in addition to their normal requirements to be the event sponsor. Rusty's is in the SEC chapter, they have been a long standing sponsor of NAXJA, maybe one of the original sponsors.

The event sponsor gig is something that will have to be hashed out. I'm not against the idea of a program like that but I'm not exactly for it either (meaning I'm pretty neutral). I'd want to get some ideas pushed out and discuss is a bit before we release it to the wild, I want all the ducks in a row so whiny vendors don't whine.

what about multiple sponsors? Those that want to be listed on the shirts can donate $X worth of product to the event to be listed on the shirt/sponsor list.

All part of my thought process :cheers:

We did that once with one of the SoCal Fests but I was uninvolved in it (I was mostly doing trail leadership and maintenance stuff that year).

The biggest pitfall I can see if vendors having an expectation of exclusive access, we will need to make the arrangement very clear that they will not be the exclusive sponsor of their types of products. That is actually why we never took action on this for SoCal Fest last year, I knew that Robert would have been a pain in the ass if we had other drivetrain folks involved.

Stump was our SEC main man for the raffle and did a great job. He has several local contacts that worked well. The biggest headache was sponsorship items so if you can take care of that side it would be a big weight off his shoulders and he can focus on the local vendors. Stump should be in here shortly.

I would like to see this raffle be big, like BIG!

I am willing to help make this happen, of course what ever local sponsors you've had we need to keep in the loop.

We need to start a list of event sponsors if that is the way we want to pimp this. I would be nice to let sponsors know what we are doing and invite them to the event too.

I am willing to do what I can on a local basis for the raffle. It HAS to be a collaborative effort for the raffle to be as big of a success as an event this important to NAXJA should be.

I have several local contacts who would likely be up for donations, how much will depend on a number of things.

One of my local contacts is the manager of a local 4 Wheel Parts store, and he showed interest last year of actually coming to these events and setting up a tent/display/workshop type thing, he also donated a few hundred bucks worth of merchandise. That was during our smaller scale Crawl event, so this event should be even more enticing. Im just not sure what would be kosher from outside vendors to be able to do? I dont want to step on any National sponsors toes.

Another larger local contact is a buddy of mine who works for Omix-ada, who owns and distributes Rugged Ridge, among other names. They donated several hundred bucks for our 2013 Crawl, as well as donating handsomely for the Giveaway XJ on behalf of the SEC (Recovery kit, and Synthetic Winch Line). I know I could drum up some interest from them for donations, but could possibly work on a larger scale, such as a title sponsor type thing. I just dont know the ins and outs of what our limitations of outside (non national) sponsors is/should be.

I also have various other contacts in the area whom I feel I could get some donations from too...

I have a few questions that you guys may or may not know the answer to, but perhaps we can hash it out.

1. What type of recognition should 'outside' (non national sponsors) sponsors get? This is obviously a huge selling point when I approach these local guys about support. My begging only goes so far, exposure is what they want. The more the better.

2. Would we want any of the outside sponsors to come to the event to setup shop or displays, or maybe even workshops?

3. Do we have a 'This is who we are and what we do' letter that is NAXJA 'approved' that I can utilize when approaching these potential sponsors? Most larger companies need/request something on a letterhead so they can show to corporate and justify their sponsorship. (I came up with my own this past year using bits and pieces from NAXJA info page, and tailored it to suit what we were looking for)

4. Have we determined where the proceeds from this raffle will go? Maybe I missed it, but the Crawl is by far our (the SEC) biggest yearly financial burden as well as our biggest cash generator to allow us to budget for the upcoming year. Just curious how things will wash out - dollar wise- when its all over.

Looking forward to working with everyone on this event, it has the potential to be hugely succesful, we can make it happen.

~ Stump

One of my local contacts is the manager of a local 4 Wheel Parts store, and he showed interest last year of actually coming to these events and setting up a tent/display/workshop type thing, he also donated a few hundred bucks worth of merchandise. That was during our smaller scale Crawl event, so this event should be even more enticing. Im just not sure what would be kosher from outside vendors to be able to do?

Yes, outside vendors are welcome to particpate in an event-level program. We will need to draw that program up though. I have no idea if it's Kosher though, maybe ask a local Rabbi? :conceited

I just dont know the ins and outs of what our limitations of outside (non national) sponsors is/should be.

No limits! The only limitation is contacting our in-program vendors so they don't get annoyed by a lot of begging.

1. What type of recognition should 'outside' (non national sponsors) sponsors get? This is obviously a huge selling point when I approach these local guys about support. My begging only goes so far, exposure is what they want. The more the better.

Now that's the real question. We need to discuss that (quickly!), thinks like logos on shirts, presented by, vendor booths, etc. are all valid perks and go beyond the national sponsorship program (I will offer our established vendors to get in on those programs as well, possibly at a discounted rate).

2. Would we want any of the outside sponsors to come to the event to setup shop or displays, or maybe even workshops?

If we have the space and are committed to it absolutely! We toyed with this for Fall Fling but I let the project die without much help as we weren't getting that much event buzz and I was unsure of participation.

3. Do we have a 'This is who we are and what we do' letter that is NAXJA 'approved' that I can utilize when approaching these potential sponsors? Most larger companies need/request something on a letterhead so they can show to corporate and justify their sponsorship. (I came up with my own this past year using bits and pieces from NAXJA info page, and tailored it to suit what we were looking for)

Yes and no. I have one from the Sponsorship program but I need to edit it for the 2014 year. If anybody from anotehr department has one as well I'd love to see it so we can collaborate.

4. Have we determined where the proceeds from this raffle will go? Maybe I missed it, but the Crawl is by far our (the SEC) biggest yearly financial burden as well as our biggest cash generator to allow us to budget for the upcoming year. Just curious how things will wash out - dollar wise- when its all over.

Nothing is firmed up but national recognizes that the Crawl is SEC's main fundraiser. While my word is not binding I would suggest that we come up with a split for profits for national vs. SEC for the raffle. Depending on intake I would suggest we then make a donation to a local land use based on our National profits (does the Tellico fund still exist?).

I hope I can pull this off!

Event sponsors will need to meet a deadline so that we don't push t-shirts and whatever else gets logos back too far. Banners are always good as well we can set-up in the portable pavilion. We have a NAXJA and SEC one already, vendors can send us one to put up for the week.

The vendor booths will definitely have to be ok'd by Stephen.

Knowing that the raffle is your main money producer, it had been mentioned that we split the raffle 50/50 with national? A land use donation is a great thing too...we also have matching funds that national could match above whatever the event might bring in...

maybe invite the organization to attend the event that we want to donate too?

mac 'pimp it' gyvr

I think that any vendor that wants to donate $500 worth of product should become an event sponsor and get their name on the shirt. Do we want to make different levels? Maybe $1000 gets a big logo, $500 medium, $250 gets their name listed with no logo.?

Something like this.....

picture.php

(fundraiser shirt for Ronald McDonald house shirt)

.....or, do we not want to commercialize the shirt?

I don't mind wearing ads around for those that have helped us.

discuss.................

I think that any vendor that wants to donate $500 worth of product should become an event sponsor and get their name on the shirt. Do we want to make different levels? Maybe $1000 gets a big logo, $500 medium, $250 gets their name listed with no logo.?

Something like this.....

picture.php

(fundraiser shirt for Ronald McDonald house shirt)

.....or, do we not want to commercialize the shirt?

I don't mind wearing ads around for those that have helped us.

discuss.................

I like this idea.

Back