• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quiet Performance Muffler

xj-grin

NAXJA Member #1096
OK - I have a Flowmaster Delta 50. Love that its fully welded, love that its tough, love that it flows well -- I'm a cranky old bastard and I hate how loud it is... If I was street'n or strip'n, I wouldn't mind the growl, but in the woods and DD'ing, it really isn't my bag.

Who has a good recommendation for a good flowing, fairly inexpensive, but above all QUIET muffler???:speepin:

I am waiting for a pletora of "OEM" suggestions, but hoping for something more... :rattle:

Long glass pack FTW brutha. :thumbup:

Steel cased, small diameter, not a rock grabber, throaty sound, very little resonance.

I've put 'em on 2 of my rigs so far and like them WAY better than this damn Flowmaster that's on the '97 currently...... I can barely think much less hear my tunes over that damn Flowmaster.

hmmmm, tought to do "sound" on the internet -- when I read "throaty" I hear "loud".... although certainly I like the pricing on glasspacks...

I think the reason glass packs create less cabin noise is their straight through design. Noise out the pipe, not bouncing around in a rectangle chamber below the floor board. No, the glass pack isn't totally quiet in the cabin, but it's quite notably more quiet than the other performance mufflers.

If it wasn't for the mummy-like appearance, I'd try wrapping my Flowmaster in header wrap as a sound deadener...... but it would look totally stupid.

Stock mufflers flow fine. Everybody thinks a louder muffler makes more power- horse puckey. Unless you have a built motor with ported heads and high compression, it's all just noise.

I have a flowmaster 70 Suv, I think. It's been a few years. It has no cabin resonance.

I have a flowmaster 70 Suv, I think. It's been a few years. It has no cabin resonance.

Ive been looking into the 70 series. Do you have any audio clips of it. I havent found any on a 4.0L Jeep. Im in the same boat, I want it to be more aggressive sounding but not obnoxious. The stock muffler sounds like someone blowing threw a straw!

Cherry bomb, non glass pack. cheap, sounds good, not too loud, but deep. i like them, will be putting that on the 97 shortly. already on the 89

Long glass pack FTW brutha. :thumbup:

Steel cased, small diameter, not a rock grabber, throaty sound, very little resonance.

I've put 'em on 2 of my rigs so far and like them WAY better than this damn Flowmaster that's on the '97 currently...... I can barely think much less hear my tunes over that damn Flowmaster.

I just installed a glass pack on my '92 today and love it way more than my homemade POS.

I've tried lots of different ones. Had a 2' resonator and it droned, tried the glass pack and it droned, did the chery bomb muffler and didn't like it and a 40 series Flowmaster. Then I was digging through the stock at my local Checker and found a Thrush turbo muffler with lots of dust on a tore up box got it for a great deal. Out of all that I have tried I like th Thrush the best. No drone in the cab even without the doors. The others were terrible with out the doors on.

Back