• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Proposed Domestic Ivory sale ban

WB9YZU

NAXJA Forum User
From the NRA site:
http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/a...ic-sale-of-ivory-could-impact-gun-owners.aspx

Sounds pretty far reaching from Guns to Artwork.

You have to look though the transcripts a bit, but it seems to me that from the Fish and Wildlife's standpoint, the affect of Pres Obama's July Executive order is to eliminate the sale of any Ivory within the US.
Any Ivory not covered by the antiquities act would have to have paperwork indicating that it was harvested and imported legally. Hard to prove if you don't have the source paperwork.

Last edited:
I'm really confused about the relation to land use this has.

Make it illegal to possess or transfer any ivory "without paperwork".

Good one. There used to be a pretty large market for ivory products. Pistol stocks, sight inlays, watch decoration, all kinds of products,.. as well as the traditional art. We had a resident here for a while who had an ivory topped coffee table(covered in 1" x2" blocks about 3/8" thick). I imagine the gov. could probably confiscate a couple billion dollars worth of private property over the next few years with that little beauty.

Back