• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Progressive Rate Coils?

CheapXJ

NAXJA Forum User
anyone know who would make a set of progressive rate coils for an XJ?

reason I ask... I got a set for my MJ (my more street oriented vehicle... still taller than stock, but street oriented none the less)

these coils gave approx 1-1.5" lift on the XJ I pulled them from.

Is it possible that they're made for a ZJ/WJ or someotherJ?

I bought a set secondhand a few years ago that sounds like what you found... they were supposedly made by Moog. Nice and soft ride, I had them under 2.5" of poly spacer when my XJ was at 4" lift on 31's (the iteration when it rolled at Tellico, for those that may recall.)

Anyway, I'll probably put them on my street MJ to match the really healthy springs it already has in back and run 235's for an aggressive height and smooth ride. This rig will see mostly commuting and towing duty, so I don't wanna slam it.

Lawn Cher' said:
I'll probably put them on my street MJ to match the really healthy springs it already has in back and run 235's for an aggressive height and smooth ride. This rig will see mostly commuting and towing duty, so I don't wanna slam it.

I'll let ya know how that exact setup works out ;)

btw... they look like this: (the other coil is a stock XJ coil)
springs2.jpg

I have heard that stock TJ coils are worth a little drop on the XJ/MJ, tho I haven't seen it with my own eyes...

Anyone know the rates for TJ front and rear coils (I4 and I6 if different)

also would 4cyl XJ coils be 'softer' than 6cyl coils? :dunno: if softer is better for cornering prowess > I'd suspect not...

A reputable spring shop (like National or Alcan) should be able to wind a set, though it would be nice to find a production set that works well...even better if they are dime a dozen and cheap (like low-mile takeoff TJ or XJ OEM coils)

Back