• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Preventative coating for floorboards?

98Redbird

NAXJA Forum User
2001 Cherokee, I took the carpet out to shampoo it and I'm putting in a small amp and sub, so I'm running the wiring for that. While it was out I was going to coat the entire interior floorboards with something like POR 15 or Chassis Saver.

However, when I got the carpet out, there is VERY little rust anywhere and so I'm wondering if it's worth it to go ahead and scuff the factory floor and paint with POR 15/ChassisSaver?

My other question is would simply roughing the factory paint that's there now and painting over it work? I would imagine that the existing paint, even if roughed up, wouldn't adhere correctly.

If no to painting, what is the best ways to prevent rust on the XJ's?

I just picked this one up and am new to the Jeeps. So I'm a bit ignorant about them but am trying to learn :)

Thanks!

rust tends to come through from the bottom up not from inside out unless you have a leaky jeep. i would coat them with something like duplicolor bed coating or herculiner if you're worried about it and call it done. if you're worried about rust you need to address the underside before it starts.

The bedliner products GrimmJeeper mentions work very
well for heavy protection. Try wire brushing the rusty
parts and treat with a rust converter such as Ospho or
POR15, then apply the bedliner. Where there's factory
paint, simply apply the bedliner on top (after sanding),
but try to remove any rust that's next to the paint, so it
won't creep under the bedliner.

Bed liner as those folks suggested is best. To remove rust, any phosphoric acid based cleaner is great, you may get it in gallons from Home Depot, cheaper than getting it as spray can. My favorite bed liner is bed armor with Kevlar from duplicolor, could be a little overkill to put it inside, but I recommend it outside. After cleaning all the rust, 2 hands of that bed armor, then 2 hands of rubberized undercoating and you're set for 10 years.

Back