• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ported XJ Steering Box

old_man

NAXJA Forum User
I have just rebuild and ported this XJ Steering Box. It comes with stainless plugs to allow it to be used as a stock box until you convert to hydro assist.

$135 plus shipping (or local pickup), no core needed.

I rebuild these from time to time. I've been wrenching for almost 50 years. Right now it is one of three that are apart on my bench. I completely degrease everything. I use a mill to cut the holes and then tap them. You have to be careful not to tap too deep on the hole on the "wing". If you do, when you thread in the hose barb, you cut off the flow. Everything is thoroughly flushed before reassembly. Adjusting the box is the tricky part, the rest is just a royal pain and messy. Ask anyone who has tried to get all those pesky little balls in the right place.

I can do a coat of Hammerite paint if you want. Normally I do them in Silver or Black (none of the cheap Rustoleum crap). For an extra $30 I will powder coat it (might take an extra couple of days).

As a back ground I am an engineer in three fields EE/CS/ME and a machinist on the side. I was the first President of the Colorado Chapter. I was president of all of :NAXJA: for a couple of years and I am once again the Colorado Chapter President. Lots of folks around here can attest to my abilities.

I normally don't do stuff for others, but I am trying to fund a Moab trip.
The box comes with a 90 day replacement guarantee.

Last edited:
I see two posts for the same thing and different prices? I think I would like dibbs on this.....

This ad is for an XJ steering box.......... The other was for a Durango (he listed it as Dakota) steering box........

If you don't know about the Durango steering box upgrade, you need to do some searchin' monkey-boy......... :D

Oh, and the Durango box is mine. :moon:

This ad is for an XJ steering box.......... The other was for a Durango (he listed it as Dakota) steering box........

If you don't know about the Durango steering box upgrade, you need to do some searchin' monkey-boy......... :D

Oh, and the Durango box is mine. :moon:

My bad, I was seeing double Durango box ads......... and yes, I do know about the Durango upgrade you putz! :laugh: I will wait for another Durango box then..... :peace:

As for the Durango box. I have run them on my rig with a high output pump and the small pulley. The steering can actually get a bit sensitive, even when running a hydro assist. I'm actually going back to the stock box and trying that for a while.

Back