• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please help... (WARNING: I am not a MECHANIC)

I am not a mechanic, and have never claimed to be, but I realize I am needing to become one, because of my love affair I have with my 98...

That being said... The "check gauges" (and the battery gauge would show barely 9 amps) light starting coming about three weeks ago, and eventually stayed on until one day on the way home from work I lost my radio, then the next day it wouldn't start.

So I am assuming it's the alternator, right?

I looked under the beast that morning, and it looked pretty straight forward, after removing the battery... So today I set off the get the alternator off so I could go have it tested to see if it was any good.

But I am stuck. First of all the "adjusting bolt" doesn't do anything, so I can't even loosen up the Serpertine belt. And second of all, I got all the screws out of the alternator except the very bottom one. I don't have a garage, so I am working with all hand tools, maybe that's my problem. But for the life of me I can't get that bolt off. O, and how many screws are suppose to come off???

Is this the adjusting bolt? :confused:
32249_1335748792881_1205932212_30786869_8038122_n.jpg

This is the bottom bolt I can't get off... :gonnablow
32249_1335748872883_1205932212_30786870_4371319_n.jpg

I don't have the money to pay someone, and I really need my Jeep cause my wife teaches in Greeley, and I also have to cart my daughter around... Man, I am crying about this.

So anyway... would anyone be willing to help me attack this thing again next week or next weekend some time. All I could promise you is a rookie mechanic, some good beer, pizza, and a swimming pool. I am up here in Fort Collins, right off of College and Prospect...

Any help or advice or pictures would be awesome because I am kinda like a deer in headlights... I did do search in the forums, but looking through 500 pages kinda sucks...

Thanks guys,
Truett the bum

the adjusting bolt is on the power steering pully. there are three: one in front, one on the back and the actual adjuster is underneath.

3 bolts hold on the alt, if you cant get them off you need a wrench and breaker bar, or an impact gun

Yes that is the adjusting bolt for the serp belt. you need to break loose the idler pulley bolt first then it will let you move that bolt in/out releasing tension or adding tension to the belt. The alternator bolts you might have to get in there with a breaker bar like apostle said and get mean with them and add PB blaster.

If you want i will get you a pic of the other bolts for the tensioner pully tonight since i have my steering pump and box out?

No, 2 bolts on a 98.

Loosen the bolt holding the tensioner pully then turn the adjuster out. This will release tension on the belt.

After the belt is of you can remove the alternator.

changed? dont recal a tensioner puller on the 89/97. went under the power steering pump.

No, 2 bolts on a 98.

Loosen the bolt holding the tensioner pully then turn the adjuster out. This will release tension on the belt.

After the belt is of you can remove the alternator.

thought you were crazy (gettin old and what not), so went out and looked at the 97. totally differant then the 89. assume changed with the HO motor

Thanks guys... For those wanting to come by, I am in the Springs. Unexpected funeral. I'll be back Tuesday morning. Thanks for all the info, I might be able to handle it now. (fingers crossed)

Anyway I'll be attacking it again next Saturday, for those still wanting to help.

Later,
the bum

thought you were crazy (gettin old and what not), so went out and looked at the 97. totally differant then the 89. assume changed with the HO motor
Not quite... my 91 has the old style goofy "move the power steering pump" setup. I believe it changed between 95 and 96, heck I started a thread about it and GrimmJeeper told me and now I can't remember for sure. Might have been 94 to 95 :dunce:

Good luck with the alternator. You might need a battery too now after that kind of abuse - have a shop test the battery or you could end up needing a new alternator again on top of it.

pictures are worth a million words i cant think in just words i have to have pictures to understand things so i know how freaking hard it can be sometimes

Back