• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PCM Connector Pin Removal?

brewed4you

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, I've searched and searched but I can't seem to find an answer on this one.
Does anyone know how the PCM pins come out of the wiring harness on an 01?

Once you take the connector covers off, there is a blue tab that you have to pop in and then I'm assuming you just find the little tabs on the pins and squeeze them in just like any other connector.
Problem is I don't know where the tabs even are. Doesn't look like there's enough room on the PCM side of the connector and I can't see the wire side because there isn't enough slack in the harness.

If anyone knows how they come out I'd greatly appreciate the info. I'm about to go take another look at it, if I figure it out I'll post back here.

It's pretty simple once you figure it out.

First take the backshell off that's held on with 4 tabs - I think you already got that off. It's annoying, but possible with a regular flat blade screwdriver.

Next, yes, you push in the blue locking tab. Push in the single blue tab on one end to release, when you are done push in the two blue tabs on the other end to re-lock.

Next you need to take off the back cover that goes around each individual wire and holds in the rubber gasket/gland. There is a retention tab on each end of it, you can see them through tiny slots on each end of the back of the connector housing. A small jewelers flat blade screwdriver works well for this. Careful, if you don't pull it straight back, it will tip sideways in the connector shell and the blue latching piece that holds all the pins in will go sideways and everything will piss you off. The whole thing comes apart at this point - stackup is (color coded main connector shell) (blue pin retention wafer) (black pin housing) (rubber gland) (black rear connector housing) (color coded connector backshell/wiring stress relief.)

EDIT: taking it apart is simple. Getting it all to cooperate for long enough to get the pins back into the connector? Hoooo boy. Not so easy.

Last edited:
You may want to reconsider trying to disassemble the connector housing. It is extremely easy to crack the housing where the tabs snap in. If you have the correct tool, it is also easy to remove individual wires without disassembling the connector. The tool slides along the wire into the backside of the connector housing and pushes the little fingers that hold the terminal, you can then pull the wire out of the connector housing.

https://millerspecialtools.spx.com/Detail.aspx?id=247&gid=15

Damn, that is so much easier and not even expensive either. Thanks for the info and link.

Thanks, just ordered. Can never have enough tools.

Wow, thanks for all the info guys, good to know how the connector works.

For 10 bucks, I'll definitely be getting that tool as well.

Back