• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

p1694 - TCM issue?

carguy007

NAXJA Forum User
2001 XJ, 4.0L auto. This is my son’s XJ, daily driver to school and back.

3 weeks ago replaced 2 top O2 sensors, NTK Brand . (hindsight should've done all 4 at once), not sure if this relevant.

A week later CEL comes on - P1694, my son said gauges would go to zero and engine would briefly cut off for a second, but would keep running. It would do this every couple of minutes. Towed it home

Checked & cleaned all grounds, bought a new battery (old one tested bad), cleaned terminals on back of cluster. cleared code and all was good for another week.
Week later - same issue – this time would stumble a few times, the CEL went off, and would not refire and had “no bus” on odometer. It sat overnight, and fired the next morning, but same symptoms. When I fired it that morning, I checked and picked up 2 additional codes: P0130 & P0136. I went ahead and replaced the lower O2 sensors (NTK). These codes have not come back since replacing lower O2 senstors

Replaced crank sensor and cam sensor 6 months ago. Rechecked crank sensor with ohm meter – good.

Checked voltage on DLC - reading .32 volts on pin 3, and .09 volts on pins 11, ground to pins 4/5. This voltage did not change by removing Crank, Cam, TPS and Map sensors. The pin 3 reading went to .13 ohms when I disconnected TCM.

Checked resistance on DLC pin 3 and pin 11 = 60 ohms (should be 120)
Checked resistance on harness both CCD+ and CCD- between PCM and TCM – 0 ohms good
Checked voltage from PCM on orange and purple wires, both 5v – good

This leads me to believe it’s the TCM. Is there a way to test the TCM?

Would a bad TCM cause the voltage drop on Bus?

Also, if you can post a link to a legal FSM download, would be great. Most of the google searches redirect you everwhere.

Thanks in advance.

Back