• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Options for exhaust. Just need opinions.

I haven't really noticed any difference in power at all, but it sure as hell sounds faster and turns heads!! I have 2.5 going from the cat back, a bend (think an S with the top and bottom cut off so it leaves a zig zag piece) about a foot after the cat, a bend going over the axle, and a 90* bend to exit out the side about a foot from the end of the truck. I also have a (used to be) blingtanium chrome tip, cut at a 45* angle.

I actually really really like the sound. The only time i can really hear it is with the windows down.

i pulled off me exhaust last month behind the cat on a rock ledge, after that the jeep seemed to struggle with low end touque on the trail

Hey yall,

Well the myth about back pressure is actually about scavenging. For anyone that doesn't know, a crude way to describe scavenging is when exhaust waves further down the exhaust are used to create a "vacuum" in sense that helps to pull exhaust gasses out of the engine port or other parts of the exhaust. It just so happens that smaller exhaust size, restrictions, (things that increase back pressure), usually increase the velocity of gasses (just like water through a smaller hose has higher pressure) and this usually increases scavenging, and in turn, torque. (I say usually because there are always exceptions and lucky people :) )

So, In a perfect world, No you would never want back pressure, but the fact that a restriction (which causes higher back pressure) usually increases scavenging and thus torque, it's something we have to live with. :cry:

This is why alot of drag race guys who run open headers usually have a bog on the lower end if their driving on the street or don't have a low enough rear gear.

Sorry, more ranting

Last edited:
Back