• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oh Snap! went the Upper Control Arms.

collkid

NAXJA Forum User
Was a normal day of wheeling... or so we thought!

Buddy and I decided to go hit up Illinois Gultch, been there before, pretty simple trail. The plan was to run that, then meet up with a friend at Metberry and wheel that.

IllGul_Snap8.jpg

IllGul_Snap3.jpg

IllGul_Snap21.jpg

And the first thing happened, its hard to tell from this angle, but MAN he was close to rolling. I was standing right by the drivers window talking with ed here, and his rear wheel starts to come up, Quickly I grab the Jeep by the pillar and pull it down. Told him he needs to get down NOW and so he went. Sketch.
IllGul_Snap39.jpg

Figured that would be the worst of what happened this day. But, I didn't realize it at the time, it got worse right around here.

IllGul_Snap51.jpg

IllGul_Snap29.jpg

(The red table are just straps holding up my sway bar links)

Didn't realize it here, we continued on, but about 15 minutes later, I knew something was wrong.

Looked under to find that BOTH the upper control arms had snapped in half!

At first I was freaking out! How will I get down? This is going to cost me an arm and a leg!

Luckily I had service and tested the NAXJA Colorado Chapter emergency services. Called troy who gave me the idea of using straps to hold the axle in place, and use the winch to keep it under pressure. Troy even said something like "I would just come down there will my truck and trailer and tow you home, but theres a Jeep on my trailer with no axles!" (thanks for the help Troy)

This is what we came up with. Wrapped it around the right and left control arms and hooked it to the cross member using a ratchet strap.

IllGul_Snap68.jpg

IllGul_Snap70.jpg

Got down the trail like this (most intense wheeling i've ever done) and gave FrankZ a call (he was on a trail, but still willing to help in anyway he could). We talked for a minute and I decided that instead of paying for a trailer or trying to get home, I'd take it to frank who would help me figure out what to do next. (thanks again for the offer Frank)

We were going less then 35 with flashers on and trying to be careful (yeah not the smartest idea in the world) Half way to Franks house, the strap burt through (ended up touching the exhaust) So we had to do a road side fix.

IllGul_Snap76.jpg

IllGul_Snap73.jpg

Now, about 3 miles away from Franks house we see a advanced auto, my friend (jokingly) said, "Hey! lets just buy some control arms and bolt them up!" Well, we called around to a few places and the Advanced auto right by I25 had 2 of them, $45 bucks each.

We had 4 people, and we went to it. Probably one of the smoothest installs I've ever done. Few hours later, we were on I25 north headed home. Smoother ride then before which makes me think they have been weakening for a while.

IllGul_Snap78.jpg

Now, I'm sure stock is fine for road use and some light wheeling (as i've wheeled a bunch of times before and not having an issue). But I'm going to save up for a long arm setup. Probably FrankZ's

As you can see in this image, the PO did something weird, he got Long Arms for the LOWERs but not the uppers.
IllGul_Snap77.jpg

I wish I had more pictures, but as you can imagine, I was quite stressed and pulling out the camera wasn't on my mind.

Now, as I've really pushed the relationships here, I'd like to support the board (though its confusing as all get up how to sign up, why can't I just donate with paypal?)

keeping the image of the yellow strap pulling the uppers back.. I dont know if i would of thought about that..

Nice recovery Jeremy! :thumbup: That strap set up was exactly what I had in mind - looks like I was able to verbally describe it good enough over the phone for you to figure it out...... I was a little worried I wasn't wording what I was envisioning well enough.

Where's the pics of the busted UCA's?

Nice recovery Jeremy! :thumbup: That strap set up was exactly what I had in mind - looks like I was able to verbally describe it good enough over the phone for you to figure it out...... I was a little worried I wasn't wording what I was envisioning well enough.

Where's the pics of the busted UCA's?

uumm, They got thrown away :( but they literally split in half.

The ole ratchet strap control arm, classic! Whats really fun is doing hells revenge at night when one of the rigs has a broken lower and using tie down straps. (1 lower is more important than 1 upper, but not as important as 2 uppers so your case was worse)
Guess one one of the rules of econ applies here: Optimal decisions are made in the margin :)
Glad that everything worked out for ya

Back