• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM replacement shocks?

ThatGrimmJeeper

NAXJA Forum User
If I were building up my XJ to be a crawler, I know exactly how I'd build it and what shocks to get. But it's in really great shape and I'm not going to tear it up. I have other Jeeps for that. This XJ is staying stock for a while.

So I find myself in unfamiliar territory. The stock shocks aren't in great condition and they need to be replaced. But I don't know who makes a great OEM replacement. I like the ride and handling of the stock system so I don't want to change it a lot. But I don't know who makes a good OEM replacement shock these days.

What would you put on a stock XJ?

When I replaced my shocks, I went with some Tuff Countrys in a non-lifted, OEM size (mostly just because of the polyurethane bushings lol) No complaints so far.

x3 Bilstein. First had Monroe and switched to Hydro Skyjackers. They were ok but didn't last. Now running Bilstein for last couple years and they are really great both in rough terrain and highway driving.

I installed Bilsteins in my 96 a couple of months back. My ride was still wobbly (but better than the bad shocks). I ended up replacing the front springs with Moogs. Ride is much improved.

Tom

I went with the Monroe sensa trac shocks because I found them on sale. They ride really well, no complaints. They're a good affordable stock replacement. I ended up getting all 4 for 50 bucks with the sale and rebate. I think the biggest improvement was new leafs though. That seemed to really tighten up the handling. The ride quality is so much better now.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

Bilstein 4600 (Yellow) at a minimum.

4 New Monroe's made a HUGE difference in ride/handling for my 89 but it's a 2WD street runner, no off road. (Liked them so much I put 4 on my 70 Charger also.)

Back