• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP 231 Rear Output seal on a 91 XJ

Caboose

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all. New to posting on the forums but I'm always here searching and researching and usually I find the answers I need to get what ever done on my personal '88 XJ but just with searching but this one wasn't a success.

I recently did a rear transfer output seal on a customers late 1991 cherokee laredo with a np231 J part-time 4wd in it, and low and behold, the thing is leaking like a drip a second (worse than it was). I got the seal from the local Autozone, it's a timken brand part # 2506. It looked similar to the seal I replaced it with, dust boot and all, but for it to be leaking this bad I'm wondering if it's the wrong seal. It's leaking out of the dust boot peep hole and it was installed correctly (I'm a full time mechanic for military vehicles, and I know that seals can leak even being brand new, but as I said, just trying to figure out if maybe I got the wrong seal from the get go)
I got to wondering if the seal I bought was for an AWD model rather than a part time (which is what I'm working on) but after going through numerous of the local auto parts stores websites none of them specify if it's for the awd or part-time models.
Can anyone point me in the right direction on if the awd and the part time transfers use the same output seals yet alone give me a part number to a common local autoparts store (Napa, Autozone, Checkers, Advanced Auto Parts are local to me) for the correct seal. Any help and/or input would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

The catalog I,m looking at list 2 seals and 91 was a break year-Mopar # 4638904 for 91-01. the extension bushing is the same for the 231-242 all years.
You did grease the seal and check for a groove on the yoke ?

I checked Rock Auto parts they list a Timken # 4370N for the seal

Last edited:
Thanks. The Jeep was a november of 91 year. The seal was greased before install and no groove on yoke, cleaned rust/debris from it as well. I keep finding some seals without the dust boot on them. Are some available this way or does this mean something? The original had this dust boot, as well as this new one, but I keep coming across these one's without the dust boot. You said this is a break year, what exactly changed between the two?

Last edited:
The only thing that I see that changed it the part # in the catalog,I dont have any drawings or specs handy.
But the dust boot and seal are two different things? Correct ?:dunno:

Ya, the dust boot doesn't do anything to prevent fluid from coming out. But it's all made as one piece. I'ma tear it apart this morning and just bring the yoke with me and the measurements to the cone and I'll check the part number you gave me as well. Thanks for the input and I'll let you know how it goes.

Well Wayne she's all fixored thanks to your seal. Brought the yoke with me and showed them it was right although their database says it is, told him the other seal and we test fit it right there, alot tighter around the yoke. Reinstalled everything and gave her a whirl around the block and problem fixed. Thanks again for the info, greatly appreciated.:clap:

Back