• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Not your average leafspring shim question.

Luke95

NAXJA Forum User
I set my trooper axle up for a four inch lift and a inch stretch. Cycled the suspension and it won't clear the gas tank so I am going back to my original plan of rocking it in the stock location with 2 inches of lift. Seeing as I burned on the perches for a 4 ish inch lift and am going back to 2.5 can I use some shims to reduce my pinion angle a degree and a half?

Shims can be used to alter the pinion angle. 2.0* are the smallest shims I have found. With a 1.5* difference, shims may not be necessary.

Shims can be used to alter the pinion angle. 2.0* are the smallest shims I have found. With a 1.5* difference, shims may not be necessary.
I'll slap some twos in and see where that gets me? I'm just trying to have this thing perfect and ready to run. For now I will slap it together and take it home but I do plan on wheeling it soon. I don't want to have any issues when the time comes.

I set my trooper axle up for a four inch lift and a inch stretch. Cycled the suspension and it won't clear the gas tank so I am going back to my original plan of rocking it in the stock location with 2 inches of lift. Seeing as I burned on the perches for a 4 ish inch lift and am going back to 2.5 can I use some shims to reduce my pinion angle a degree and a half?

I'm far from an expert on this subject, but I went from a 6 degree shim which (after relocation brackets) put me at 1 degree OVER, sitting at ride height. This was probably 3-4 degrees over under throttle. This was just enough to make some low resonating vibrations up until about 70 mph. Not horrible, but enough to notice. I swapped out the shims last night to a 2 degree shim, and changed my relocation brackets slightly. I'm sitting at about 3 degrees under, which I can assume should put me right on, or close to, under throttle. Huge difference.

I could be wrong based on your explanation, but it sounds like your trying to get it dead on sitting still. You want to be slightly under, then as I understand it, the axle will pull upwards 2-3 degrees under throttle, and put it "dead-on".

Even with a traction bar?

Someone else may be more qualified to chime in on this question, as I do not have a traction bar.

From what I understand about a traction bar is that they limit axle wrap, but I don't think they are meant to create a static axle. I believe most are designed for a small amount of wrapping, which I assume is normal under throttle, but limits it to the point where the front of the leafs start to wrap upward.

Most of the versions that I've seen at least one side has a "shackle" for lack of better words, which allows the traction bar to rotate a small amount with the axle, but limits it.

I would think its safe to assume there is a few degrees of play even with a traction bar, but don't take my word for it, just throwing out my - well.... uneducated guess.

Back