• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NJ members and inspection/tilt test

Dest

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking at buying jeeps, and I want a 5spd so my results are quite limited. One of the best deals I've found has a 6" lift and is running 33s. I'm trying to figure out if this would be able to pass the NJ inspection.

I found a list of requirements here http://www.the-jersey-devil.com/bbs...er=21201&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&o=&fpart=1 and the only real concerns besides being limited to 9" of increase over stock are numbers
10 - Front fenders must extend over the full width of the tire tread. Rear tires that are not covered by the fender or other body parts must be equipped with metal protectors or flexible flaps that prevent dirt, debris and water from being thrown - It has large flares that looks to cover the tires completely (give what I can tell from pictures), but how much of a stickler about this are they?
13 - Ballast must be securely mounted. -What is this talking about?
14 - Releasing the steering wheel in a sharp turn shall result in an increase in turning radius. - I'm not sure how this would be fixed in the event it failed because of this.

Also any tips on passing the tilt test? Or should it be no problem if everything is installed properly? Thanks guys

Here's a good start:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=929051

Feel free to post up with any technical questions.

The ones that you mentioned...

10: You'll need mudflaps for inspection, and flare width to cover the full extension of the tires from the body. It's worded funny but you need both, and they need to completely cover everything. I missed the mudflap one by 3/4" the first time through.

13: Specifically, any weights used to modify weight distribution, or to meet weight requirements for a different vehicle class. You shouldn't have to worry about that one. Just make sure you don't have a whole bunch of heavy crap floating around loose and you'll be fine.

14: That's a caster angle issue. That will happen naturally if your caster angle is in spec, which you can get checked at an alignment shop. If it's off by a little they can shim it via the LCA mounts on the frame...if it's off a lot, you can get adjustable control arms to put it wherever you need. They don't actually check the angle though, just that particular response...and usually even a little bit of caster will make it work. That requirement is more based towards cheap and poorly designed front leaf spring setups that don't angle the axle properly.

So the mudflaps need to go down to the axle? Do they have to be behind all 4 tires or just the rears? Does anyone have any recommendations on ones to buy? Do they make ones that are semi-easily removable? (I'd like to take them off when I actually go into the mud). Thanks for all your help

Just the rears...I made some out of rubber sheet I had laying around.

I'm not sure exactly how far down, but I do think mine were a little below the axle centerline.

They stayed on my XJ for about 3 days after inspection. It's gonna depend on your exact location whether they care or not.

Where do you live, and what station are you going to?

I'm buying a new jeep, and theres one I really like that happens to be lifted and such. I want a manual so my results are fairly limited and this thing just looks awesome and would save me money and time. I live in Northern Jersey, but would be willing to drive to whatever station would give me the most favorable results, I've heard the one I'm closest too (morristown) is a PITA. NJXJeep what does your jeep look like?

98 with 5.5 inch lift 285 75 16 MT's on rubie wheels,stroked 4.0 to 4.6, top hat rack,ORfab winch tube front bumper with 8000lb winch. I cant figure out how to post pics here.

vetteboy said:
Just the rears...I made some out of rubber sheet I had laying around.

I'm not sure exactly how far down, but I do think mine were a little below the axle centerline.

They stayed on my XJ for about 3 days after inspection. It's gonna depend on your exact location whether they care or not.

Where do you live, and what station are you going to?

Did you get yours passed on the 39's

No, haven't tried yet. Primarily because I shattered the passenger side of the windshield a year ago and haven't replaced it yet. :)

Add flares and light covers to this, and that's how I got it passed in 05.

n24800499_31191896_5892.jpg

On the mud flap issue, they've been requiring all four wheels for awhile now. the flap width should be equal (or greater) to the tire width. The length is totally subjective, but the general rule seems to be to the axle center line. We have seen a few pass a couple inches above this though.

We do not recommend Morristown 'ever'. Asbury Park appears to be generally preferred. However, we've had good results through Winslow as well.

One area we are currently researching is the use of heim joints in the steering system. We had heard these were illegal for years. Current investigations haven't yielded any statue restricting this use. To date one high rise station has already agreed this shouldn't be an issue. This truck should be going through sometime in September.

This should to up to date.
http://home.comcast.net/~kayaker121/NJLiftLaws.html

Back