• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newer jeep recomendations needed

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
Looking for recommendations, what to avoid, what is good on the newer jeeps.

Daughter (in MI, moving to Colorado Springs this weekend) is looking at a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 4x4, over 200,000 miles I think, 4.0 (did it have the 2001 bad head?), and what transmissions did they use, where they any good?

Son in Texas is looking at 2010, Liberty, 4x4 for just under $10,000 with about 100,000 miles on it.

Need rush answers please.

My son bought the 2010 Liberty from a major dealership here about 10 days ago, with I think a 1 year drive train warranty. Have not seen it yet. It was not cheap, 7 years old and lots of miles. I hope it was not a mistake. It is 4x4. I forget the details. He says all the used jeeps in the 1-10 year old area are super expensive and are holding their value here. But I think those were stealership prices as I found used ones on Craigs for 1/2 what he paid. but he did get a warranty and I think 2.5% int rate, rather than having to risk a used (with possible unknown issues) owner jeep sale and did not have to come up with the cash or use high interest loans for a cheaper rig....And he got gap insurance in case some idiot runs him over again.

I prefer to not have notes where they can grab your wheels if you miss a payment. So I use unsecured credit at higher rates.....if I do not use cash.

You all recall the bumper stickers "Don't Laugh, its paid for" ????party1:

My Daughter is shopping for an XJ in CO Springs this week.....She Just moved there.

The only AWD one wasn't that bad. The 242 is better. Stay away from the 4.7. Mercedes POS motor. Whatever she does, have a shop inspect it!

In my 40 years, I have not found a shop I trust. I did try several times over the years. Started out with a new car when I was 17, did all my own work on it. Second rig was new, and I let the stealerships screw it up, and it was a lemon as well.... Have yet to find a mechanic that can actually find and solve the real problems my rigs seem to have. They always seemed to fix the wrong thing.

At least when I screw up a repair, I know where to look to fix it, LMAO.

Problem is I am getting too old and broke down myself to do all it myself anymore. !!!1

Been near death several times the last 3 years, and went blind in 2015 (had cataract surgery to fix that, awesome miracle....) and the RA Arthritis has been kicking my ass since 2014. Just can't reach areas and do stuff I use to do.

The only AWD one wasn't that bad. The 242 is better. Stay away from the 4.7. Mercedes POS motor. Whatever she does, have a shop inspect it!

I found a scary hoard of online complaints on the Liberties using Google. But one can not be sure how much of that is the rig and how much is todays idiots on the roads driving them.

No doubt the Renix rigs I own had many early dealer issues with the grounds and CPS and headlight switches and blower motor switch and wire and ignition switch overloads in the early years. But I fixed all mine thanks to Naxja :) and they were all easy fixes!!!!

My biggest issue is transmissions, especially FWD rigs, they are no fun to work on.....Got lucky with my used 2001 Saturn SL1. It is a piece of cake to replace the Valve body....but the 96 Ford Taurus transmission is a bitch to reach and work on....I still hate Fords.

Last edited:
In my 40 years, I have not found a shop I trust. I did try several times over the years. Started out with a new car when I was 17, did all my own work on it. Second rig was new, and I let the stealerships screw it up, and it was a lemon as well.... Have yet to find a mechanic that can actually find and solve the real problems my rigs seem to have. They always seemed to fix the wrong thing.

At least when I screw up a repair, I know where to look to fix it, LMAO.

Problem is I am getting too old and broke down myself to do all it myself anymore. !!!1

Been near death several times the last 3 years, and went blind in 2015 (had cataract surgery to fix that, awesome miracle....) and the RA Arthritis has been kicking my ass since 2014. Just can't reach areas and do stuff I use to do.

Being that I work at a shop I would agree that anymore there are more idiots working on cars than poeple who know what's going on.

I only say to have a shop inspect it to evaluate the condition of a vehicle for major problems, not necessarily work on the car. I see too many poeple empty their pockets on a car only to bring it in a find out it needs $5k worth of work to be somewhat driveable.

My son's new Liberty has the 3.7 L engine, 2010, and I think the 4 speed Automatic (this not the Mercedes).

People put them down but the KL Trailhawk is a great vehicle.

Back