• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie to forum with questions on a '99 I'm looking at

Reddout

NAXJA Forum User
New to the forum but not now to Jeeps. Previously had a '89 XJ, a built '95 ZJ, a '99 WJ and currently own a '15 WK2.

I've been wanting to get back into the XJ seen for sometime and have found a '99 for sale here locally. It looks to be in pretty good shape from the pics on the ad, but I will need to actually go take a look at it, possibly as soon as this weekend.

It's got a small lift on it, 209k miles, the typical driver side bolster wear & tear but he says the horn and cruise do not work and the airbag light is on. From past experience with another of my vehicles it sounds like a bad clockspring, which is a fairly easy replacement. He's asking $3800.

All of my previous Jeeps, except my current, have had high mileage, around 175k, but never had one that has cracked the 200k range.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

-Bob

I would not be afraid of 200k+ on miles, my 94 was shy of 400K when we parted it and my current 2001 is at 322K. Just check the basic things over and drive it like you stole it, if it all checks out, hit him at 3k and see where you own it at. :thumbup:

Cheeseman-OUT!

yea 3800 is fairly high unless the thing is a cherry. And I mean like zero rust great paint cherry. In my book for that kind of mileage in decent shape I'd say its worth ballpark $2300-2500. Most likely a clockspring, but check to verify it wasn't in a wreck. I've come across a few over the years that had front end collisions and never had the airbags properly replaced. Cruise is easy to fix as junk yard assemblies are a dime a dozen and easy to find. Drive it hard and see if it smoke and feel for trans firmness in shifting. Listen at idle for lifter tap, fairly common and not a big worry, but good indicator of engine condition and maintenance. Test the 4wd. If its a 242 put it in awd and drive it at 55-65, this will tell you if there any vibes you need to worry about. I've had several XJs make it to 300k with no issues.

Engine/trans replacements aren't that expensive and pretty easy to do. The big thing you need to chase is a good condition body. Everything else is replaceable, once the body starts rusting your done...or in it for a lot of labor investment. I'd take a perfect condition exterior/interior/body with a blown engine over a 45k rough body any day of the week.

I was going to look at it this Saturday, but we started talking his bottom-line price and my max offer price and we weren't close enough.

The search continues...

Back