• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Networking question

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for a router that I can subnet 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x on two separate lans. Want it to have VPN capabilities on the .1 net, yea I know I can do it with cisco but he's on a budget so a 28xx is a bit out of the ballpark. Want to end up with a business network with both cabled and wap on one ethlan then a customer one with just a wap and maybe one wired port ethlan on the other if I can pull a cable to the customer area. It will be fed with a 10meg cable modem. I know the cheap way would be to just slap a 4 port switch on the cable modem to another 4 port switch and a wireless router as the cable modem can get two outside IP's but that method is ugly with too many little boxes in the wall rack.
Currently it's a motorola surfboard > smc7004vbr > 24 port netgear switch and a linksys wap for his new snapon laptop modis replacement.
I've just started looking so if someone has already invented the wheel I would appreciate a heads up... I just would like a one piece solution to replace the SMC, I have a allied telesys security appliance already on my bench but the dam thing won't pick up a DHCP address from the wan side which the surfboard gives out and it will already do 5 virtuals from the lan ports onboard, otherwise it would be perfect.

Rich, you're scaring people. :eek:

I haven't done anything like this in years, but I suspect you won't find anything cheap.

I'm sure you can find something that will do one subnet and VPN for less than $100 but the rub is going to be doing two. I mean it would have to have the ability for you to assign specific switch ports to each subnet, right?

What is cheap btw? I'm thinking less that $150.

I may be running something simular in concept, but it is not one nice piece of hardware, it is 3. Modem, Router 1 at the .1 subnet and Router 2 at the .2 subnet. Router 2 lugs into Router 1 to provide access to the Modem.

I believe that RichP is looking for a single device, not multiple. And the problem with that is that he's immediately into business class territory and that means more than pocket change.

I've done this, but with a Linux distro & firewall software. It's not quite a plug-n-pray solution.

I believe that RichP is looking for a single device, not multiple. And the problem with that is that he's immediately into business class territory and that means more than pocket change.

I've done this, but with a Linux distro & firewall software. It's not quite a plug-n-pray solution.

Yea, thats what I was thinking, just a physically larger solution than I want. I've been reading the manuals on that Allied Telesyn AR540S that I have and it's supposed to do exactly that. It's a 1U rack mount with a DMZ port, Wan port on the 'outside' and 5 switch ports on the 'inside' all of those 5 can be used as Vlans so I could do a .1, .2, .3, .4 and .5 subnets and all 5 will dhcp to the attached devices, that I have gotten to work, what I have not gotten to work is for the wan port to 'take' a dhcp ip from the cable modem. If I static an IP to the wan the vlans and everything else work fine. I wonder if the web interface on this thing is fubar'd like the cisco's are. I'm going to have to hunt around for the 232 stuff for it and go in command line, wipe all the configs and go from there. I used this at the raceway for a while but with a static IP till the cisco 3810 came in, that one I also needed to subnet from the different sub companies with in the raceway.

Check this out...

http://www.dsl-warehouse.com/produc...d=197&osCsid=b626aef9b3836aad50afe4a3ae4da317

The Draytek Vigor 2820 is an ADSL 2/2+ Modem / Router with a 2nd Ethernet WAN Port (Dual WAN). This 2nd WAN port can be used to connect to a: 2nd DSL Modem, a Cable Modem, or a Fiber Media Converter for policy-based load balancing, or Fail-over and Bandwidth on demand (BoD). The Vigor2820 also features advanced bandwidth control mechanisms such as IP-layer QoS, NAT Session Limitation, Bandwidth Borrowed., to allow easy, flexible, and reliable access control & bandwidth management.

I'm good with computers but this networking lingo makes my head hurt :huh:

x2!! Well, at least we know where to go!!

I got one for ya...:sure::laugh3:

I was configuring my sisters older 2wire gateway and got my Iphone to connect to it just fine. Her laptop...no likey. It never connected. I had to give up and head out early, but I don't know what else to check. I have the same 2wire at home and looked at my settings and they appeared to be the same.
All I did was rename it from the default 2 wire name, used WEP-OPEN with a 5 digit password. Like I say, the Iphone was happy, her Vista laptop didn't ever connect but it could of course see the network.

Make sure the laptop has all of the latest updates. You may just have some firmware issues that can be resolved with a newer version. Also remember that you are trying to connect an Apple product to a Windows product...things won't always be perfect.

Make sure the laptop has all of the latest updates. You may just have some firmware issues that can be resolved with a newer version. Also remember that you are trying to connect an Apple product to a Windows product...things won't always be perfect.

2wire is an Apple product?

Are you connected to the right network? I always rename my networks to something unique. Never fails, If I'm using Linksys I'll have at least 2 or 3 linksys devices within range. Same for other products. It can get confusing.

Are you using the WEP key and not the passphrase?

You might try deleting the previous profile and starting from scratch. Also, if you are currently using the nic's wireless app, try using the microsoft app or vice versa.

We got a bunch of brandy new macs with impressive monitors running at work, got to find out why the keep loosing their windows shares. Problem is those artsy types get possessive of their machines and I think I'm going to need a whip and a chair to get them out of their office while I look around.

We got a bunch of brandy new macs with impressive monitors running at work, got to find out why the keep loosing their windows shares. Problem is those artsy types get possessive of their machines and I think I'm going to need a whip and a chair to get them out of their office while I look around.

Mac Pros?
How are you mounting the shares?

The problems we've been having are authentication issues. The Mac's binding to active directory breaks. Although Apple says with all the latest updates, (I'm assuming you're using Leopard) all should be well, we still have problems on occasion. All we can do is unbind from the domain and then bind again. I have contacts at Apple that might be able to help. They are at the office. If I make it to work tomorrow (been sick all weekend) I'll look them up for you.

Heh...... Ralph, I'm getting pushed at work to bind HP-UX authentication to AD. Folks wonder why I'm pushing back so hard.

Heh...... Ralph, I'm getting pushed at work to bind HP-UX authentication to AD. Folks wonder why I'm pushing back so hard.

We didn't have any problems running Tiger. All the problems started when we "upgraded" to Leopard.

You may have better luck with your HP's. Set up one box and play with it for a while and see how it works out.

Mac Pros?
How are you mounting the shares?

No idea yet, just that it's on 'The List' of things in my new office. I've been busy fixing network printers, removing virus's from PC's, updating software, getting ready to wipe the previous guys laptop and get that working right, the normal just moved in routine... crossing fingers till I can get a better handle on the hp_ux servers and how they are setup. I do plan on working on the mac problem this week though. It was just mentioned and the art people were busy this week getting the Christmas stuff done for the magazine and web site, some kind of deadline but I've only been there three days so what do I know...yet
Yea, they all run leopard.

Last edited:
Back