• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need advise from AN flarring experts!!!

We use that same flare tool at our shop (Rocky Moutain Westy) almost every day. SS tube is very tricky to get leak free simply because of the material hardness. You will definetly have the best results with a double flare. It also helps to take some scotch brite to the flares sealing surface to polish away any burrs.

The hard line adapter fittings XCM posted should not be used unless they are rated for SS tubing (most aren't).

We use that same flare tool at our shop (Rocky Moutain Westy) almost every day. SS tube is very tricky to get leak free simply because of the material hardness. You will definetly have the best results with a double flare. It also helps to take some scotch brite to the flares sealing surface to polish away any burrs.

The hard line adapter fittings XCM posted should not be used unless they are rated for SS tubing (most aren't).

thanks!
What's your opinion on these?

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=3202

I have done a few hundred of these flares and a few things I have learned. x2 on the seam. That is creating part of your problem. You need seamless tubing. Also you need to make sure the tubing you are using is annealed, it will not flare well if it is too hard. Also the flaring tool that you linked to is not the best for doing the 37° flares. Mcmaster Carr has a very good one that I use but it is a little on the expensive side, about $160. Tube Service is a good source for the tubing, I have purchased this material from them before. Also make sure you don't go any thicker on the wall. Hope this helps.

Kevin

I have done a few hundred of these flares and a few things I have learned. x2 on the seam. That is creating part of your problem. You need seamless tubing. Also you need to make sure the tubing you are using is annealed, it will not flare well if it is too hard. Also the flaring tool that you linked to is not the best for doing the 37° flares. Mcmaster Carr has a very good one that I use but it is a little on the expensive side, about $160. Tube Service is a good source for the tubing, I have purchased this material from them before. Also make sure you don't go any thicker on the wall. Hope this helps.

Kevin

thanks.
Stupid question, but how do you order from tube service? is everything over the phone?

Back