• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My streetable autocross / road racer MJ build.....

If I can find a decent MJ I'm doing this. I wish they had a Shits and giggles class! Because those gutted EVO's in X prepared are gonna destroy me! I'm planning on boost if I do it. Lowering the truck will be mandatory for scca. Hell, a stock fiat 500 is restricted because they are top heavy. You can run an Abarth though.

Went junk yardin' when I shoulda been sleeping........

Was told there was a '91 MJ...... turns out to be the same one I scuttled 4 weeks ago.... :mad:

But found a 2wd '98 ZJ with a D35 and NEW disc brakes front and rear. I will need the front 2wd stub shafts when I convert my 2wd axle to WJ 16" brakes so I grabbed it all.

I'll just do a freshening up of an MJ D35 and add the disc set up. I don't think racing/track rules allow wheel spacers so the 8.8 rear is out.

Now I just need to find a donor WJ for brake parts and knuckles.......

IMG_20131217_122832227_zps944081f9.jpg

me too, and I know a guy...

Too wide, too much fabbing, wrong lug pattern. Pass.

Wanna try to keep things simple and actually get this thing on the track..... If the Archer Brothers could dominate their class with slight mods, I should be able to have fun with mine keeping it similar.

I'm thinking of placing a phone call to Tommy or Bobby and ask their opinions on sticking with the OEM leaf packs over those fiberglass mono's they ran..... wondering if removing a leaf and a small block/spacer will be "acceptable".

Also gonna look under some light SUV's for rear sway bars that I can adapt to the rear. The Archer trucks used custom made ones..........

I'm pretty sure S-10's had rear sway bars on them. Or, wouldn't an XJ rear sway bar be easily adaptable?

I'm pretty sure S-10's had rear sway bars on them. Or, wouldn't an XJ rear sway bar be easily adaptable?

The rear sway from an XJ is too thin/flexy. They really don't do much for the XJ as it is.

I've the stock front swaybar off of the WJ. It's 1.25" thick, but wasn't near thick enough for the WJ with a 4.0. It's just scrap to me.

I've the stock front swaybar off of the WJ. It's 1.25" thick, but wasn't near thick enough for the WJ with a 4.0. It's just scrap to me.

That might be TOO thick as I believe that's the same diameter as the MJ front sway..... which are thicker than the XJ's.

The front sways will not likely work how I'm envisioning (too wide at the outside ends and odd shaped along the middle). I'm thinking a sway off of an SUV with rear control arms that it bolts to would work as they have a hump to clear driveshafts and will be narrow enough to work with brackets welded to the axle tube.

I had eyeballed one under an Isuzu Rodeo the other day...... could be about what I need if it'll fit between the rear leafs of an MJ.......

$(KGrHqV,!hMFBdDToT+ZBQhp4Lbcwg~~60_1.JPG

Last edited:
I may still have the stock wj rear -- lifted wj guys who swapped axles sometimes use a TJ mount as it's easy to adapt...

Back