• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My newest thing I hate to do on an XJ

old_man

NAXJA Forum User
I've been painting my 85 XJ for a couple of weekends. I just got done putting putting some new door handles on it. I drove across town and locked the driver's door. When I came out, the door would not unlock. I had get in the passenger's side and worm my way over the console and into the driver's seat, just to get home.

I pulled off the door cards and proceeded to try and figure out why the door wouldn't unlock. The actual latch is up and behind some sheet metal and is hard to reach, much less see.

I ended taking apart the passenger's door and pulling the latch assembly so I could figure out how I could get the door open.

I bruised up my hand reaching around and finding the little lever I could force to pop the lock. All of this while I was standing on my head in the driver's seat.

With the door finally open, I got the latch out, it turned out to be a piece of the plastic latch that holds in the actuator rod had broken off and wedged down in the latch.

All in all it took over three hours of fighting just for a piece of plastic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel your pain...... :bawl:

I recommend soaking the latch in gasoline for a couple of hours to get all the old grease out. Then spray some white lithium grease in it before you put everything back together.

On the driver's door, there is a lever on mine that has a nice groove worn in it. I am probably going to try and snag one a pnp.

Door handles are less than $8 on RockAuto. If the button is hard to push, check out the little lever on the handle when you pull it. The button has a rod that presses against it. Over time, it wears a divot in it and it catches, making it hard to press.

No pix until it is done. :twak:

Back