• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Jeep is back home again!

Glenn B

Member #69
NAXJA Member
A couple weeks ago I heard a loud SNAP on the way to work. I dropped the Jeep off with one of our customers to find out what was up, as I had no time to do it myself. They pulled the rear axle apart, found the Trak-Lok came apart, as well as a broken tooth on the pinion, as well as the ring gear. They put it back together so I could order parts.

At work, I ordered a new ring and pinion, and master install kit. Ordered a mini-spool from Randy's Ring and Pinion, thinking I had my hands on a open carrier. I drove it for a week with a very noisy rear end.

Drop it off at the shop with all of the parts. The open carrier fell through, mine obviously would not work, so I had them get the parts to rebuild the trak-lok. Took a day or so to get parts and get the carrier built. They go to put it all together, call me and tell me the gears I got from work are wrong. Arrggghhhh.

Our system only lists one style of gear for my Dana 44. Wrong. I have the "thick" gears, we carry the "thin" gears. In a pickle, and tying up my customers bay for way too long with my crap, I called Randy's Ring and Pinion. Ordered a "thick" ring and pinion from them, 2nd day air (ouch). Jeff at Randy's said I missed the shipping cut-off for that day, but he would call the warehouse and see if they could get it out. They did. UPS dropped it off at 9am today. Our Machine Shop manager took the parts over to the customer for me. Picked it up tonight after work. Happy Glenn.

As of 5pm today, I am on vacation (for a race that got cancelled). So now I will spend a few days breaking in the gears, drinking beer, and getting caught up on Son's of Anarchy.

My hat is off to Randy's Ring and Pinion for their great service, as well as to a local shop that really took care of me.

##CLIFF NOTES## My junk broke. My junk is now fixed. I am on vacation.

Back