• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My experience with RWKhaus and Yukon zip locker.

Westernhunter

NAXJA Forum User
A month or so ago I contacted Robert for some gears and a Yukon zip locker for my Dana 30. I have an ARB in the 8.25 in back and really wanted to have selectable front and rear. I have 5 children and am a blue collar man so I have to shop very closely for any upgrades that I make.
Robert has great prices and he shipped fast, so I had my locker and gears in just a couple of days. The axle was not in the vehicle so off to the shop I went.
My installer had never installed a Zip locker, but has installed hundreds of ARB's. he was excited to see how they compared. After just a few days, I was picking up my axle. Carl(mechanic) said that he was Impressed with the Yukon unit and he felt that it would preform comparably to the ARB.
It took me a few days to paint the axle and get it installed, then I tested it thoroughly in my yard. Everything was fine until I got it out into the local hills. I went for a leisurely drive locally and every thing was fine until I got back on the road.
The Jeep was acting very strangely. It only took me a moment to realize that the front was still locked! Crap! I tried everything to unlock it. Backing up, switching it on and off,etc. I finally had to limp it home with the front locked. Interesting to say the least. Luckily I was just a few miles from home.
The next day I contacted Yukon and explained what had happened. They were stumped. After talking to their engineering department they called me back shortly with some trouble shooting procedures. Nothing worked. I had to send it back.
I was very nervous with this because I had a trip to Moab for Naxja's Fall Fling in just a couple of weeks. Crap! Carl was generous and came out to my place and we removed the locker with my crappy tools and off it went.
The guys at Yukon knew I had a trip planned and went though the unit, repaired it and sent it back in just a couple of days. I was so happy to se it on my porch! I called Carl and he was able to come right out, with his good tools and we had it back together that night.
Now, I still was nervous because I now owed him to install it 2 times. Remember I am on a tight budget. Like most of us are,under Democratic leadership. He,he. I contacted Robert and he made some calls and....tonight, check in the mail! Cool! Now I can pay my installer and everything is good to go for Fall fling. I have tested it for several short trips with no issues.

Robert was very helpful in working with me and Yukon. They both knew how inconvenient this was for me, and they both worked very hard to make things right.
The problem ended up being something with a "basket" inside the unit. I Know that even the very best quality control misses something once and a while. I have confidence that this locker will provide many years of service. I will update here is anything changes, but I doubt that I will need to.

Overall Both of these company's were top notch in customer service, which is really the most important thing in my book. I plan on using Yukon products in the future, and I will buy from Robert at RWKHAUS .

Thanks Robert, John,

Well as much as I like to hear that a customer is happy with anything I can help them with, its very hard to hear about anything Yukon failing.

As I am sure Yukon mentioned, as well as I think I also did. This is the first Yukon Zip locker issue, that I have hear about that was not instal error. I know it doesnt mean much when theres likely a few thousand out there at this point and to get one failure in that many, is awesome. Its sucks it was one of my customers.

Glad to hear Yukon covered your labor cost as well as sent you a shim set, to make sure you were not out any $. Yes you are out some time, and that sucks. But glad you were fully taken care of, and will make your event!

Good to hear!

As I am sure Yukon mentioned, as well as I think I also did. This is the first Yukon Zip locker issue, that I have hear about that was not instal error. I know it doesnt mean much when theres likely a few thousand out there at this point and to get one failure in that many, is awesome. Its sucks it was one of my customers.

I will second that. I have not had any failures or issues with any of the Zip Lockers I have sold. Its kind of weird to not find any issues with something like this but hats off to Yukon for a great product. Sucks that you got a bad one but you can't ask for better customer service than Yukon has.

Back