• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My 92s last dealing with erratic spark and fuel issues.

Alucard226

NAXJA Forum User
Thought this would be neat to share as I've never actually seen a dying ECU cause this, I fixed it already but figured I'd share the experience.

*The background - 92 XJ 4.0HO, retired state vehicle. About a year ago I began having longer cranking times at random moments, loss of fuel pressure, slight backfires and other various issues that were inconsistent to say the least and a nightmare troubleshooting. Eventually she hit the point where it wouldn't crank or prime the pump at all without leaving the key on for a random amount of time that always got a little longer each time.

During this timeframe I chased crank sensor, pump, IAC, fresh grounds and multiple other things that would test properly one time and fail flat out other times. Eventually it got to the point where it began doing this musical relay thing, I'd get in it and switch the key to on than walk away for up to 15min as it I'm guessing"built up power in it's resistors and ECT" and then one by one the relays would begin clicking on and off, check engine light would dimly start flashing and the pump would start sputtering for a few minutes than everything would lock in solid.

Video the day I finally decided it had to be ECU.

http://www.facebook.com/HereThereGeneralRepair/videos/648342622766722/

Back