• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Muffler Suggestions

collkid

NAXJA Forum User
So,

Street Jeep needs a new muffler.
This thing does do some DD duties, but I figure if I'm going to replace the muffler, I would like something with a little more.... power.
Something that gives it some sound but isn't annoying on long trips

So what muffler would you get?

Picture for fun.

3a3189b46bdcb661c6b10d75fb5159d1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd go with a turbo style if you want quiet but hear it on the throttle. Dynomax had a pretty cheap kit for xjs. I've also had a dynomax ultra Flo, which is louder than the turbo and now on a dynomax glass pack style, which is really loud. I have a magnaflow on my v8 zj. It's a straight through muffler and is pretty quiet cruising but sounds awesome on the throttle. If you have a cat and route it all the way back it shouldn't be too bad.

I run a Magnaflow series 40 on my stroker. It is a nice compromise.

I put a Walker Quiet Flow stainless muffler on my '99 because it was cheap and "stainless" - well it was neither quiet nor truly stainless.

Keep in mind if you still have the original exhaust you'll probably have to replace the tailpipe as well; even cutting as close to the muffler body as I could I couldn't make the stock tailpipe work. It's bent right up close to the muffler body and it's heavy enough it laughed at my buddy's pipe expander when I tried to make it round again.

2 words: Cherry Bomb. :firedevil

I wondered how loud that would be?

I put a Walker Quiet Flow stainless muffler on my '99 because it was cheap and "stainless" - well it was neither quiet nor truly stainless.

Keep in mind if you still have the original exhaust you'll probably have to replace the tailpipe as well; even cutting as close to the muffler body as I could I couldn't make the stock tailpipe work. It's bent right up close to the muffler body and it's heavy enough it laughed at my buddy's pipe expander when I tried to make it round again.

Interesting. Should I just get a stock tailpipe?
Any reason to try and get something upgraded?

I went with the Dynamax Turbo catback mainly due to the price($150 on Amazon) and the fact it took care of the rusted out stock muffler and included the tailpipe. As others pointed out its not worth fighting with the rusted exhaust for the money to just replace it all. I was considering the Gibson as that was supposed to be mellow as well, but it was twice the cost. I'll be installing it this weekend so I can give you feedback. I have a 99 as well that is a DD and I have no interest in loud droning exhausts, so hopefully the forum posts I researched were right that it was a fairly mellow sound. I'll also be replacing front pipe with the walker 52744 since the whole damn thing is pretty rusted and I don't feel like fighting with it.

Order an $18 walker tailpipe or get a sleeve that will fit inside the one you cut off and inside the muffler output. Would have to weld two seams, but it's not that big of a deal.

Maybe you should get with one of the guys who run the Drone-o-max, um, Dynomax.

In all fairness, the one I had came with a larger than stock exhaust. When I installed shackles, I had to cut the exhaust tip off and install a stock diameter tip for clearance. That did quiet the sound some.

I have since installed stock replacement muffler and tailpipe, no noticeable change in performance. I can hear other things now...

I installed one of the Walker Quiet Flow stainless mufflers on my fiance's 96XJ.

It's way quieter than the Flowmaster 40 I had on my Jeep before it became a buggy.

Seeing as I (we) we're shooting for something that was quiet, I like it. Doesn't drone, still sounds good enough, etc.

I like it enough I'll be looking to install one on the rig that's in the process of getting built. I want something nice and quiet, which is why the interior is getting the full sound deadening treatment.

I ran a Thrush welded, one of the Flowmaster copies, it sounded good and I don't remember it having a drone unless speed was high and RPM''s were low. I think it was $40 at Advance Auto.

My latest is a Magnaflow. It's a little louder than the "turbo" muffler than it replaced, but the whole jeep is loud, and it sounds better, meh. I've had a flowmaster, good skidplate, rusted out in 10 years. No muffler will give you any measurable performance increase, I put the best exhaust system money could buy on my 90, header, 2.5" free flow exhaust, and it made no difference in mileage. Didn't sound too bad, but that's about it. Only when I added a bored throttle body, did the intake and exhaust mods make a difference.

Back