• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

More Brake Trouble

BALTANAKT

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

Changed out the caliper pistons/seals/pads yesterday. Went well. However, for some time previous to this job, I've been pulling to the left and it's still the case.

As I understand it, the result could be:

1) Groove worn in slide
2) A single rear brake out of adjustment

I did notice a small groove in the caliper slide, so I will address that.

But first, I want to make sure my drums are equally adjusted. How do you know when they are equally adjusted on both sides? Would it work to jack up the rear end, put it in drive and watch to see that both rear wheels are stopping at the same rate? If I understand it correctly, the diff would simply transfer extra force to one wheel, so this would not work.

Jack up the rear and run the adjusters up by hand until there is slight drag on each side, push the pedal a couple times, engage the e brake a couple times and re adjust as necessary. A groove in the slide for the pad is very common and can cause a pull and uneven pad wear. I had to weld mine up and grind them back smooth.

Since you pulled the pistons out of the calipers and inserted new pistons etc., did you bleed the hydraulic lines to the calipers? Also, after you removed the old caliper pistons what did the inside walls of the caliper bores look like? Were they rust pitted deeply?

Best regards,
CJR

Not full proof but can be an indicator, brake hard if the rear goes left or right it is your rear. If the front nose dives in one direction or the other it is the front.
The vast majority of the time it is something in the rear. Most common is the self-adjuster on one side or the other isn't working properly. The second most common is brake shoes on one side covered in brake fluid or gear oil. Contrary to popular belief most times oil or brake fluid softens the shoes and makes them grab.

Thanks guys Thought I'd update.

Adjusted rears. Problem persisted. Took a look at the front pad slides. A-ha! Grooves. I smoothed out the step in the grooves. Will weld eventually. Added small stainless sliders to bottom of pads. Greased slides. Problem solved! So much better...

Back