• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

More Bells & Whistles = More Headaches

macgyvr

NAXJA Member #120
NAXJA Member
So the other day I'm out looking at 1/2 ton trucks. My v8 dakota did ok towing the trailer, but as usual I want more. Eventually I run some numbers with a used car dealer that I like to deal with and end up dumping the Dakota on a 2000 F-150 ext cab 4x4 Lariat. So now I've got this nice as hell F150 that has the big 5.4 triton motor in it, leather/power seats, 6 disc cd changer and all that stuff. Its nice.....but it leads me to some bells and whistles that make me scream.

1st off, the truck has the keypad on the outside of the drivers door, my taurus has this, a very nice and handy feature. Problem is the code to unlock the doors isn't marked on the computer like its supposed to be....stop by my local unfriendly ford dealer, they want 30 bucks to pull the code...30 bucks? WTF

2nd, its got a computer chip in the key...only one key came with the truck...20 bucks for a key, 30 to program it...WTF

3rd, its got those damn Daytime running lights, ask the dealer how to override them, he says i dont know, I say, you do know you just wont tell me, he says yep. I say well thanks for wasting my time and walk out.

Any Ford dealer gurus out there that can pull the key pad code for me and tell me how to turn the damn daytime running lights off, they dont go off like a GM, I already tried that.

There are two other dealers each on the other side of town that I may try to see if they are any cheaper, guess this one figures if ya got the $$ to buy that nice of a truck, you pay for the extra crap.

Btw, absolutly love the truck, just hate this pidley BS.

mac 'off the soapbox, taking the deluxe Ford for a ride' gyvr

$30 to pull a code off the trucks computer? That seems very "nice" IMO. I would guess out by me you would pay at least (1) shop hour for anything ~$90-110

Remember the dealership needs to keep the lights on and at $30 they are most likely covering labor for the guy to hook it up and cover the hourly wage they pay him.

Remember also , you didnt buy the truck there, you didn't , probally wont service it there...sooooo they need to keep their jobs too.

The key cost, consider yourself lucky , my folks have an Acura and they want $100 plus for a key and more to program it ;-)

DTRLamps..... spend $100 on the FSM and youll know how to do it, or again pay a tech $20 to pick his brain......

Chew...no one rides for free...bacca

PS: good deal on the bigger truck ...youll need it out west

Thanks Chewy, I knew they were outradeous for a reason, lol

My parents bought a Mercury Mountaineer a few months ago and went to the Mercury dealer on the other side of town, they pulled the code and fixed a rear window wiper for free. Maybe the Mercury dealer will pull the code for me :) And the didnt buy the truck there.

Actually after I posted that I remembered reading in the owners manual how to use the truck to program the keys, so I can do that and just pay the 20 bucks for a new key.

The running light aren't a huge deal, I just dont plain like em.

I was just back from the dealer when I posted the above and the service writer acted like an ass thats why I was all fired up.

mac 'can't wait to tow with it' gyvr

well you are partially correct....the code has 5 digits in it....but i still dont know what it is...thanks for your help tho...

mac 'adding an extra birthday spanking for you' gyvr

Back