• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Miller Millermatic 175 vs Lincoln SP-175 vs Hobart 175 or 180

Ivan

I Jeep, therefore, I am..
I came across an unexpected Christmas bonus, so now I get to treat myself a little earlier than expected :)

Based upon my "hobbiest needs", I've done the research and have narrowed down my choices between the following 230v MIG welders:

Miller Millermatic 175
Lincoln SP-175
Hobart 175 or 180

They all appear to be pretty much neck in neck, though in my eyes the Millermatic 175 seems to have an edge based upon what "newbie to MIG welders" research I've done.

Which of the above listed MIG welders would you folks recommend, and why?

Thanks!

Ivan

I've had the Hobart 175 for about a year, very pleased with it, no problems at all. Myself and everyone that's borrowed it was impressed with it and how hot it can weld for such a small machine. I'm sure all you mentioned are good machines. Stick to the 230v plan rather than a 110v, I had a Millermatic 110v before , it's no match for the 230v .

you are correcto! 230 volt or you are wasting your time.

hackedxj said:
I've had the Hobart 175 for about a year, very pleased with it, no problems at all. Myself and everyone that's borrowed it was impressed with it and how hot it can weld for such a small machine. I'm sure all you mentioned are good machines. Stick to the 230v plan rather than a 110v, I had a Millermatic 110v before , it's no match for the 230v .

Ivan, after searching around like you I got the Millermatic 175. The Hobart is the same unit with a couple of parts different, something like rollers made from plastic rather than metal. I'm sure I would have been happy with the Lincoln also, don't remember exactly why I went with the Miller. The issues to me were variable power and speed settings (not clicks, like 5 or 10 settings) and the price.

Goatman said:
Ivan, after searching around like you I got the Millermatic 175. The Hobart is the same unit with a couple of parts different, something like rollers made from plastic rather than metal. I'm sure I would have been happy with the Lincoln also, don't remember exactly why I went with the Miller. The issues to me were variable power and speed settings (not clicks, like 5 or 10 settings) and the price.

Miller's Made In USA, Lincoln's Made In Mexico (from what I've been told). That's enough for me not to buy a Lincoln. On the other hand a friend of mine has a Lincoln TIG he let me use, it was awsome! But I'm sure a Miller would be just as good or better.

B-loose

Back