• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mickey Thompson Deegan 38 33x12.50x15 vs BFG AT KO 33x10.50x15

dan1977p

NAXJA Forum User
So my rig is moving back to Virginia Beach with me and will spend more time on pavement than dirt and when it does get dirty, it won't be anything like what we have in northern Utah. I was looking for a quieter tire with less rolling resistance so I could maybe gain some MPG.

From the looks of them, the BFG's are of about equal wear with no damage to note and are on Icon's vs my Deegans on Soft 8's. Since the BFG's are 2" narrower, I don't think the backspace change between wheels will cause them to rub anywhere and the only thing that may be an issue is that I did my sliders out pretty far so my wife could use them as a step to get in. I guess worst case is I could bevel them at the outside ends so a big corner isn't sticking out but I won't know till they are on.

We're talking even trade 5 for 5 and we are both likely going to be happy. I just want to make sure I'm not getting a raw deal. He's really excited to get these tires and is driving an hour to me to get them and offered 'some' cash but didn't specify how much. Should I be concerned?

The BFGs would prolly be a better bet to go with. Ive never messed with the mickey Thompsons, but I know the BFGs have a really good reputation, and ive seen them go through some stuff that surprised me off road

Go for it.... I,ve run the BFG,AT from here to Utah and back. 60K+ on that set ,20 K on the replacements.

I must not have been clear. I'm currently running the mt's and the are a great tire on and off road. Just loud and heavy. He came and we swapped but two of the tires had nowhere near the tread advertised. He's getting better ones mounted and this explains some of the eagerness. 17# lighter per wheel and quieter even with carpet and rear seat pulled out and holes exposed. Ran them through some snow too and they felt the same so as long as I get two more 3/4 treads this week, I'll be happy.

IMO the ats were junk. I got crappy life out of them and never felt like they performed that well. Actually punctured a sidewall on a stupid easy forest road. Fairly common complaint that they don't last that long, at least with the people I talk to.

Back