• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Measuring/replacing shocks

Bigredrage

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,

I bout my 94 XJ with a 4.5" teraflex 5500 long arm kit that is no longer for sale.

I have changed to rough country 4.5 leafs and springs and am now attempting to change my shocks.

I am having a hard time finding shocks that match exactly and figure I might be measuring wrong.

Attached is where I have been doing my measuring:

The circle is the area I am measuring to, the line is the exact spot. From the bar pin to the beginning of threads on the bolt end. Is this the proper way to measure my shock dimensions?

frontshock_zps55978e18.jpg

The results is front 26.5 extended x 16.25 collapsed. Reay my rear 25.25" / 15.25"

The flex I had when I measured after adding the new rear leaf springs was just right so trying to find a shock as close as possible to the previous teraflex shocks.

having something with a little less compressed is good, if you have more you can always add bumpstop to keep them from bottoming out

what you should do is measure center of mounting hole to center of mounting hole on the vehicle. Ideally, you should do that at static (flat level ground), and then at full flex and full compression for both front and rear. That gets the most ideally suited shock to your lift / application. Short of that, if you want to ballpark it, measure at static and note the amount of lift you have when ordering.

Back