• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Man on a ledge

I didn't know about that change, Johnny. Thanks for the link to clear it up.
I had to figure this out when I swapped in my non-disco D30. As long as rotors and unit bearings match everything is good.

I started the swap today...nothing seemed to go as planned. Well, the removal of the old axle and swapping the "new" parts to the "new" axle went relatively smoothly. It was the re-install that went south. Here's where I'm stuck: I have one UCA (driver side) that needs to rotate back maybe a 1/4" so I can bolt it. It just won't budge. I've used ratchet straps & various jacks: nada.

Any suggestions? I also had a driveshaft bolt (1 of the 4), break. Yep, it snapped off in the yoke, so I now have to get that out or pull the yoke from the old axle....

Oh and I pulled the tone rings, since my new axle is a non abs. Since the old axle was an abs axle, I figured these were safe to remove.

Ok...the swap is done. What a loooonnnggg time that took me.

I found something amiss with the old axle: the passenger side UCA bracket appeared to be bent as did the housing just after the UCA bracket (it appeared very slight and was only noticeable if you stood above the axle assembly. That could of been my imagination though, but the UCA bracket was definitely bent.

I also jacked the rear of the jeep up, placed it in neutral, and spun the wheel. I noticed that there is a bad wheel bearing on the passenger side. None the less, I drove it and...while better handling, it still has the pull to the right. It isnt as harsh, but its still there. I also dont have the bumpsteer issues I was having from before.

So, at this stage, its looking like Ive been barking up the wrong axle (kinda). How hard is it to change a wheel bearing on a c8.25? Would it be more prudent to change the whole axle (btw, I have an EXTRA c8.25 on the shop floor - its a 29 spline wheras the one on the jeep is of unknown spline count).

It doesn't take that long. Maybe two hours. Pb blast everything a few days prior. It's just drive shaft cables brake line and lower shocks and ubolts.

I had a feeling it would be something in the rear. Glad your getting things sorted.

It doesn't take that long. Maybe two hours. Pb blast everything a few days prior. It's just drive shaft cables brake line and lower shocks and ubolts.

I had a feeling it would be something in the rear. Glad your getting things sorted.

I'm glad to hear that changing the rear end out is t as long as the front, it took (what felt like) forever to get it done ;). I need to go back and see when wrench fest is, if I have that day off I may try to schedule that in (if theres any slots left) and not worry about spending the cash to have the wheel bearing replaced. That way I know there's a 29 spline c8.25 in there...

I'm glad to hear that changing the rear end out is t as long as the front, it took (what felt like) forever to get it done ;). I need to go back and see when wrench fest is, if I have that day off I may try to schedule that in (if theres any slots left) and not worry about spending the cash to have the wheel bearing replaced. That way I know there's a 29 spline c8.25 in there...

I recommend a fluid replacement, and a lubelocker gasket.

I recommend a fluid replacement, and a lubelocker gasket.

I was planning to order a lube locker for sure. I figure if I do the full axle swap at wrench fest, it wouldn't be a big issue to do it then. If I miss the fest and end up having the wheel bearings replaced, I'll be providing all the parts and the cover has to be removed anyway.

So, a fluid change and lube locker is a must. I have a d30 lube locker already on the shelf (and diff oil).

Back